Idaho Billy

houston

idaho027.jpg

After drawing a once in a lifetime Mountain goat tag in Idaho, through Cabela's Tags I booked a hunt with White Cloud Outfitters for the hunt. It was an adventure hunt horse backed 10 miles in to the white cloud range, to a spike camp, endured a 30 inch snow storm above us the previous week and hunted in elevations of 8500-10,500 feet in country that man must be careful in. After seeing 30 different Mountain Goats, a half a dozen stalks that were all for not I had my only shot on the 9th day of a 6 day hunt. After stalking in 2 miles up 2000 vertical feet of shale, I waited for 4 hours for the billy to stand. Finally at 2pm I had the shot at 438 yards anchoring him with 1 shot with a 155gr berger from my 300 win mag. It took 1hour and 45 minutes to cover the 400+ yards in a climb to 10,500 feet to the billy. Aged at 9 years old by the Idaho fish and game, it was an awesome adventure that had so many ups and downs that truly made me very humble of what I was capable of.

Congrats on a great hunt and billy!
I drew that tag and also took a billy in '11, mine was a warmer affair thankfully.

Well done!

Yep, the White Clouds will take your measure. As will any Idaho mountain at the 10K foot level.

That storm came across the Lemhi area two or three days prior to our elk hunt. A brief thaw then freeze kicked my butt. Big time.

You'll treasure the memory for a lifetime. Your body will want to forget it immediately.:)

I hunt elk in that general area and know from experience how tough that country can be. Bravo to you. It's hard to explain what it takes to traverse that area unless you have personally experienced it!

Beautiful trophy!

Scot E.

WOW....the picture alone is incredible !

Congrats on a beautiful trophy for sure...I know the feeling of hiking uphill both ways...

It looks like you dropped him in his bed, great photo.
Mountain Goat hunting is one of my favorites.
I drew a Goat permit in 1972, but have yet to draw another.
I've been on several Goat hunts with others and it is an amazing experience.
I've taken to catch and release hunting with cameras as of late to just stay in the game.
Thanks for sharing. That same storm caught me at 8000 feet with my camp trailer and about 14 inches of snow overnight. #chain all four.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.