i was thinking of buy a AR50 anyone own one

Is that the 338 Lapua if so I shot with a guy in Ohio that was shooting one in factory class at the 1000 yard IBS BR match he also shot with us at the 1 mile match the gun shot well cant remember the groops he shot. The brake was very loud.
Crow Mag

My experience with my AR50 is that when it is fouled with 3 shots, it will put the next two 5-shot groups in .5 MOA at 600 yards.

I have shot a 5 shot group at 600 that measured around 2" CTC.

I was shooting with Ric Horst in August (the Wyoming wind affects the .50 about like the Wolf) - if I remember right, I put the first three shots (off a bipod - with rear bag - in the dirt) into 4 inches at 1190 yards. The next two opened up the group to around 12" or so in the horizontal...

So I'd have to say that the AR50 is capable of phenomenal accuracy. Some scoff at groups like that, but I always counter with a challenge to find some other way to put 60,000 foot-pounds of energy into groups like these...
wink.gif

All of this is with my handloads, of course. YMMV.

[ 11-23-2004: Message edited by: STL ]

The rifle is built stout, way stout. By most reports I've heard, accuracy has been capable of better than 1/2 MOA (3 shots)with handloads at 300 yards.

The bolthead floats like a Savage.
It has massive locking lugs.
Its recoil lug is also sufficient IMHO.
The brake is big, and also loud (which one isn't though?), but highly effective.

The AR30's I've heard of on this board and elsewhere in 300 WM and 338 Lapua have all been held in high regaurd as well. My Father has one in 300 WM and it still shoots very, very well, not to mention it cleans up easy too.

Good luck.

I would have to agree with STL. A good friend of mine owns an AR-50. He has fired 1000 yd. 3-shot groups down to 3.5 in. using A-max bullets. He has fired 1 Mi. 3-shot groups down to 10.5 in. using solid bronze bullets(not sure of mfg.).He told me out to 1000 yds. bullet performance between the two was equal, but at 1 mi., the solid bronze vastly outperformed the A-max in the accuracy dept. Very impressive stuff.

He has fired 1000 yd. 3-shot groups down to 3.5 in

Completly meaningless data (if true). The standard for measurement is 5 shot groups. Best group means nothing. If he can really shoot like this he should compete and totally dominate the 50 BMG 1000 yd contests.

What matters is typical 5 shoot groups. The AR-50 is a great gun, but it's not a BR rifle. If you want to make bug holes, go with the proven winner, ALS - much more accurate gun and less money.

Take a look at ALS FCSA Match Results

Three guys won in Raton using them ALS dominates 50 BMG World Championships
Even tho there are a lot more AR-50's made, you don't see them winning

OK Big Bore, You have got to by kidding me. That much power attached to a lower thats designed for a .223! I think I'd rather have Birdmans' version of the 50 BMG. I beleiver you, I just woudn't want to were out a perfectly good AR.

Ronnie

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.