I shot a wolf today! Good Story, Bad Ending

The only way to really address this is to put pressure on our state representatives. Montana is precariously ballanced between liberal and conservative with a lot of libertarians inbetween. Unfortunately the only way things are going to change is when the wolves start getting out of control and we see more incidents like the slaughter of 600 sheep. The average folks will start getting concerned and upset when that happens and they will cast their votes accordingly. Dems in Montana usually understand this.

The state government is going to just have to tell the Fed to go pound sand... we are declaring an emergency and will handle our wildlife the way we think is best for Montana. It will take a lot of pressure from the people of Montana to make this happen.

The reason that the canis lupus occidentalis were introduced into the yellowstone region is simply because in 1979 a small pack of them moved into glacier national park. These wolves were captured and brought into the area. Since the Northern Rocky Mountain Wolf Recovery team started with the occidentalis genus they just continued with it. So now we have cold blooded killers bred to be in the extreme north living and destroying the moose, deer, and elk herds. I got into an argument the other day with a woman whos logic went like this..

I dont see why its a big deal. We shouldnt be trying to kill the wolves they are just doing what they do. Eventually they will run out of animals to kill and then there numbers will decrease to a managable level..

Now that right there is the most ludicrous mentality I have ever heard.. So let the wolves make all the native species extinct and then they themselfs will become extinct and then the problem will be solved.. Crap its a no win situation. I agree we need to ban together and get fanatical about this and FIGHT to save the deer and elk herds or our kids will never have what we have today!!

I dont see why its a big deal. We shouldnt be trying to kill the wolves they are just doing what they do. Eventually they will run out of animals to kill and then there numbers will decrease to a managable level.

...and they will, finally resorting to cannibalizing their own, but by that time the ungulate species will be at "endangered" levels and hunting will be outlawed. Who will be held accountable then? My suggestion-shoot shovel and shut up! Every hunter has an obligation to do what needs to be done now. The political system is broke and will likely never be fixed. Our options are running out.

...and they will, finally resorting to cannibalizing their own, but by that time the ungulate species will be at "endangered" levels and hunting will be outlawed. Who will be held accountable then? My suggestion-shoot shovel and shut up! Every hunter has an obligation to do what needs to be done now. The political system is broke and will likely never be fixed. Our options are running out.
I agree, this is the plan we should all follow.

Then there's the young mother in Los Alamos NM who took her pretoddler into the back yard and spread the blankie and set the child down. She then ran into the house and grabbed the bottle and went back out to see a yote dragging her baby towards the canyon.

The baby was a bit heavy. She ran it down and got the baby back.

True story.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.