I need a refresher on load development.

Here's what my "ladder" groups look like, nothing like a ladder but accuracy nodes are often in just different areas grouping together then shifting, sometimes lower as velocity increases just because of barrel time. Groups were shot in this order. Where do you see possibly a promising load at here? Groups were shot at 100 yards on the first target and 200 yards on the other two. Temp was 20 deg on the first and 40 degrees on the other two. Do you see what happened to psi in just 20 deg warmer weather? 3gr lower load produced the same 67,k psi on day two at the same oal.

It looks like you may have to save the pic and enlarge it to see the data wrote on it.

fcc2cbff.jpg

fcc2cc3c.jpg

fcc2cbd2.jpg

[ 01-18-2003: Message edited by: Brent ]

I tried to save the pic but the computer says it dont know what file created it. I notice a lot of guys list psi on their data. How is this figured out? I know you can take the listed cup from the data book and convert it but is there another way to find it for those in between loads?

Moosehuntr,

I don't know how you tried to save it, but I just right clicked on the pic and selected "Save As" and it opens "My Pictures" file and gives the option to rename before hitting save. This is where I go to zoom in on them too. If that's what you already did and it didn't work I don't know what to tell you.
confused.gif
I just did it on my Fathers computer and it worked fine so....
confused.gif

The psi data I get is from an Oehler 43 PBL. About 800 bucks and some change I think is what they're running, need a computer (laptop unless your shooting out your front door) to operate the M43 program though.
frown.gif

My dad was shooting his 300wsm and at max load but psi indicated 50k psi so we're going to test some more loads out next time a little hotter. Kinda handy but not real cheap. I got a good deal on the one I have used, 400 bucks with all the accessories made for it and a load of supplies too. Got lucky or I probably still wouldn't have one yet.
smile.gif

Converting CUP to PSI is not exactly liniar and I don't know of anyone telling how either. Interested, if you find out do share.

On another note, I've found more often than not that even at 70k psi VERY little psi signs are even notable. Bolt lift can be felt VERY, VERY, VERY slightly at over 65k psi in most cases but it isn't too noticable if your not paying very close attention. Just what I've found so far that might help ya all...

Ok,so I have some results that are readable in spite of other problems. With the A-max and 210 primers I am getting pretty consistent groups from 69.5grains to 70.5 grains of 4831sc.Next I need to look at seating depth. Right? So, is there a method here or do I just start them real tight aginst the lands and then back off in consistent increments? If so, then how far out do I go? My seating die is a micrometer die.
Another question I have.A friend who is a 1000yard shooter today told me that the best group at 100 will not be the best group at 1000.So.....what good does it do to develop loads at 100 when they will not be good at 1000? Since this is a hunting gun should I forget 1000yard groups and focus instead on 1000yard hits?
Thanks.

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts