info on 1000 yard load development??

remingtonman_25_06

I am going to be shooting at 1000 yards tomorrow morning for my first time. Rifle is a Remington LSS .300 RUM with the newer VX2 6-18 Target. I have a load already and its my 200g SMK load. I was just wondering though, if I could load up 3 shells each of different lengths say of 3.6", 3.630", and 3.660" to see which is more accurate at 1000 yards? My original load was set at 3.6", but it gave a 4 inch, 3 shot group at 800 yards, then about a 12 inch, 5 shot group at 800 yards with the same shells, just about 2 months later. There is a 27" tv shoot coming up soon and I need to start practicing. I need as much info as I can get.

One 3 shot group at each OAL at 1000 yards isn't going to tell you what you want to know instantly. It may tell you what one was NOT worth looking at any longer IF you're sure everything else was consistant, including MV ES for the group. I would look at vertical more than anything, and take two or three groups worth at each OAL along with you. MV ES will kill you with that bullet at 1000 yards in wind and verrtical both, so watch it closely. More rounds fired the better. Do they give you sighters? If not, note the temp and BP when you go shoot and record the drops, then again before you leave for the shoot that day. Look at a ballistic program to figure what MOA difference there will be from the change in air density or you could get seriously hammered from this alone!

Shoot with your barrel fouled the same way and near number of rounds each time for consistancy.

When's the shoot?

Good luck!

Well I shot 1000 yards yesterday morning 3/1 at around 10 a.m. When I arrived, there was very little wind at all. By the time I was done setting up everything and what not, the wind sucked and was gusty from I guess 3-7mph. Clearly not the type of conditions I was looking forward to especially since I had never even shot 1000 yards and I never shoot in the wind to practice, so I just plain suck at judging the wind. Well I clicked up 22 MOA and did not touch the windage. I waited till the breeze let down and shot the 1st shot. I hit about 13 inches to the right and about 2 inches high. My bullseye is 17" by 22" because thats the size of the glass on my 27" tv. I missed the bullseye but at least I was on the big piece of plywood. The next shot I compensated for the wind and went 4 clicks to the left. I shot the 2nd shot and did not hit the plywood. Im guessing the plywood is 4 feet tall and 3 feet wide. The 3rd shot I went back 5 clicks and shot. I hit only 1 inch to the left and 2 inches high from where I was aiming. Almost dead center. I was so happy I coulda threw a party. The 4th shot I left everything the same, but I missed. The 5th shot hit about a good 15" above the rest. The 6th shot hit almost where the 1st shot went, but to the left 13 inches and 2 inches high. So out of 6 shots, I hit the bullseye once. Not very good. I am thinking I need to find a better load and test on a dead calm day.

Would anyone suggest moving up to the 220g SMK over the 200g SMK? The 200g SMK is acting weird lately. First batch I loaded of 50 in September I shot a 3 shot group at 800 yards that measured 4 inches. Then just about 1 week ago, I took 5 of those same shells and shot 800 only to have a group of 14 inches! They were both dead calm days. I dont know what the heck happened. I will shoot in the morning again with the 200g's and see how they do again. Would I be asking to much of this rifle to shoot consistant 3 or 5 shot groups of MOA or 10 inches at 1000 yards. It has given a couple eye popper groups at 525 which was 1.5" and 800 which was 3.5" and 4". What should I expect at 1000 yards? There is really a lot to this 1000 yard shooting. I just need to start shooting and practicing and getting information. Thanks to all.

I'd toss those SMK's aside and leave them for plinkers. Consistency is the key to good groups at LR and unless you are willing to buy in large bulk and spend a few days sorting them out, ( by weight, bearing surface, and length of ogive ) they just aren't worth your time. Try some of the bullets made by custom bullet makers that are designed for Long range shooting. My rifle loves the JLK bullets

One really needs to work up loads for each distance you are going to shoot, making allowances for temperature and humidty when 4-500 Meters or longer. Any good program will be able to give you your clicks for wind and direction, Tape this info to your stock. Have it @ 0mph, 0 degrees, 10mph 0 degrees, out to 25 or so. Then do a printing for a step up of 15 degrees off at 5, 10, 15, 20 ,25 mph. This will result in a matrici(sp) 6x5/[*]null

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.