I just happened on a review of the Maven Scope

Well, the Maven is FFP, the Leupold is SFP.
A world of a difference — depending on your shooting: ➔ How are you compensating for ranges other than your zero point? If using turrets, the SFP is fine. If using the reticle subtensions, an FFP offers the advantage of allowing you to use holdovers at any magnification.

Do you really need Maven's 30x magnification on the top end....?

The Leupold has a little more field of view (FoV) at the bottom end, but for a 4-20x the 28ft (@100y) isn't that great.

Matthias

I feel like these 2 scopes have very little in common.

FFP vs SFP,
20x vs 30x
locking and capped turrets vs both exposed and non locking

I also feel like if you really needed 30x you wouldn't be asking.
Assuming you would be using this for hunting; I'd use 1-4x on the bottom end way before I ever used 30x on the top end.

Let's change it to the Maven RS.5 - 4-24x50 SFP

My main concern is the clarity of the glass and repeatable tracking. There seems to be a lot of hate for Leupold here.
Leupold makes good scopes imo. I have a vx5 that I've taken to 1300 yards and all in between. The tracking was good and I got first round hits at 1287. I know some people hate on Leopold for their tracking, maybe I just got lucky. I haven't been able to look through or touch a maven so I can't help you there.

I've got two trijicon that I've been running for about a year now that I really like too. My biggest concern first is glass clarity. I mainly use my optics for hunting and most of my shots don't require dialing. This is just my .02 worth.

My main concern is the clarity of the glass and repeatable tracking. There seems to be a lot of hate for Leupold here.
IMO there's hardly any modern scopes that have poor enough optical clarity to be a deal breaker for a hunting scope.
Reliability trumps everything.

Out of the 2, I'd probably go maven. Can you swing stepping up to the mk5 leupolds? Have you looked at nightforce SHVs?

You ask why 30 power?
While on a Colorado hunt my brother hunted with his boss and spotted elk at close to 1000 yards.He had a Nightforce(I think) that went to the high 20's power and then and only then they could see just how big of an elk they had spotted.
I most like would never use 30 power but if I spotted an elk at long range I would like to know it's a shooter before stalking 1/2 a day to get there.
Just my opinion