I have scope issues

6.5x300

It seems I have been studying which scope to by for my edge since before I even bought it 3 years ago and I need some help narrowing down the choices. Need a scope for this fall elk season so must purchas in next month or so.

Before I get to cryteria let me say I'm looking for a scope that will help me shoot accurate. By that I mean a scope that my eye seems to be drawn to the center of the cross hair almost naturaly forcing me to concentrate on hiting small targets at long range. TMR comes to mind here as I read the aim small miss small concept works really well with the small opening in the center of rectical. Like shooting 1" dots at 500 yrds. I feel a mill dot scope somehow has my eye looking all over the place at all the dots. FFP worrys me in that the rectical gets bigger as I up the power to shoot long range, how is the leupy ffp for this with the TMR since it is open I would not be covering up target correct?

My next concern is matched rectical with turrets mil/mil, moa/moa etc. I like the Leupold TMR yet how difficult is it to have a mil rectical and moa turrets? So naturally I'm dissapointed that they don't have mil adjustable turets (maybe they do but I read .5 mill adjustment is to small).

I don't think I will be doing alot of range finding with the rectical much, mostly a range finder so a np r1 would be to much clutter for me. The np r2 would be great yet my budget may just allow me to stretch to $1k so NXS would be out for a bit.

So what I'm looking for is at least 20x on top end power, 1/4 moa or comparable mil adjustment, no ilumination needed, able to dial for 1k+ yards with 20 moa base. Matched rectical and turrets would be nice.

My scare is to spend 1k now and have Leupold come out with mil turrets afterwords. What about getting a starter scope to practice with till either I can afford the best or leupy perfects their's? With this route the scopes that come to mind is WOTAC, Falcon, or Bushnell 4200. Say about the $400 range. I know the worst money spent is buying somthing you don't really want.

As far as buy one scope to last, I'm looking at Leupold with TMR or Sightron III. Don't know alot about the S3 yet though. What about the Bushnell 6500 4-30x tacitcal?

No need to reccamend the NXS 5.5x22 npr2, if I fall into anouther $600 I'll get it.

It seems I can find just a little somthing that gets me with all the scopes. Non of them are screaming out at me as the perfect one for me yet. Help!

Thanks, sorry for the long book.

BT

my vote is for the Sightron 3, 6 x 24 power. most seem to think it's on par with the Nightforce. can be bought for under 800.

Thanks,

The S3 looks very promising. I like the idea of the 8-32x but they only offer it in dot rectical. Doesn't seem like a good big game hunting rectical.

Ruled out the Bushnell 6500 as it doesn't rate well against the others or even the 4200.

I find more negitive reviews about Leupold MK4s then I care to hear yet I like the looks of the TMR best.

Any thoughts on Weaver's New tactical scopes Super Slam I think? Supposed to be FFP in a 4-20x-50.

Thanks,

BT

True blue,

The sightron S3 is starting to stand out. I will be using this scope for elk, deer and rockchucks as well as shooting papper and steel. Could you elaborate why you like the dot over the mill dot? If the dot would work good for hunting would the 8-32x work? Looks like the only difference is 70moa addjustment vs. 100moa and only 2x power on the low end yet 8x more on the high side.

So how many would recommend the S3 over the MK4?

Thanks, I may be leaning towards the S3 now just need help with which rectical and which power?

BT

You mentioned that you wanted a reticle that draws your eye to the center, and the single dot does that , more than the mildot reticle. Also, I don't like the mildot's per se, I would go with a scope with hashmarks before mildots. Since Sightron does not offer hashmarks , I recommended the single dot. That's all you really need when dialing elevation anyway.

Well I may be getting closer. Have decided against the higher power range scopes in the 30x range and will stick with the highest power range in the mid 20x.

I like the idea of hatch marks rather then mill dots too but I think I may eventually want some kind of dots/hash mark to use as back up for ranging or holds.

In the slight difference of glass quality that everyone is so focused on how many have really missed a shot because the light tranfer was only 92% vs. the best scope out there?

The S3s have great reviews all over the net but what good is it to me if I don't like the recticals?

Still torn between getting a practice scope of less $ untill the S3s have more rectical choices. For $325 I am seriously considering the WOTAC. I like the idead behind matched turrets and rectical and then waiting/ saving for the right scope to jump out at me.

My thinking could all change again tomorrow, but thanks for the help. Please keep it coming.

BT

I don't think you could go wrong with the S3 6x24 mil dot. This is an excellent scope with good optics and repeatabilty. The mil dots will give you holdovers but may not draw your eye to the center like you want. But, how necessary is that on your Edge? I like multi-plex reticles on short to mid range outfits, but if you're shooting long range I would think you could get by without it. Just a thought.

I personaly don't own any Mark IV's but some friends have them. I don't know what the bad reviews are, they really like their's.

I think I'm going to get a Sightron S3 for sure but all the 6-24 mill dots are totaly sold out.

I know I said I was not going to consider the 8-32x but I can't remember why. Here is a question for you all. With the 6-24x and 100 moa total elevation avialable + 20 moa base I can get out to 1800 yrds and hold dead on (if my understanding of the info I have is correct) With the 8-32x and 70 moa total elevation and 20 moa base I can get to 1500 yrds. Both of these distances is further than I need to shoot and exceed my rang finding abilities.

So I ask the knowledgable should I get the 8-32x? I do enjoy shooting off the bench alot at paper and shooting rockchucks in the field and have always like the idea of higher power but would long range elk hunting with a scope on the low end at only 8x be a problem? I figure I would have a secound gun for hunting closer range in thick brush.

I'm still a little skepitcal of only having a target dot for hunting as this would leave me with no ability to range or old off with the rectical (target dot is the only thing in stock for the S3s at the moment). The S3 target dot is .25 moa as I understand it. Does anyone think this would be to big for hunting?

Thanks

BT

Do you have any scopes right now? If you really want a NF, then snag a scope off another rifle (or borrow from a friend) and save a little while for the NF. Any crosshair (duplex especially) can be used effectively at long range. You can use the duplex point and the power ring as a range finder and second aiming point at multiple ranges.

AJ

geez sounds like the exact same issue i'm dealing with only i'm shooting 7mm ultra mag i'm eventually going to get the NF but for now i went with the wo tac to at least get some practice with the weapon. and there only like 300 bucks ,and so far makes a nice repeatable box out 600 yards. no matter what you go with it seams all manufactures are outsourcing to china for manufacture of bodies and glass in japan and assembly here or there. i would compare some of your buddys guns and scope combos thats what i did and actually shot them to see what combo i liked best. and eventually when i shoot the barrel out of this gun it will be an edge also. main issue is it throwing money away,is it maybe? but at least for me im getting expeirence shooting the weapon and building my confidence.the more practice the better.

I have 3 guns and only 2 scopes, not near enough I know. I have been swaping the weaver off the 300 WM and tired of resighting in. I think I may be happy with the sightron and not owning a NXS. Having not looked threw a NXS I don't know what I'm missing that way.

I may go the route of the WOTAC and get some practice in before the season. Maybe sightron will come out with an even better scope rectical combination by next year. So Morhuntin, how is the WOTAC working out for you? I take it it is a gen3 as Matt is all sold out and I'm on the list for the gen 4. How is the 14x at long range? Do you like the rectical? I figure when time comes to upgrade we could get most our money back out of the scope if need be.

Still interested if some one has an extra S3 6-24x mildot.

Thanks,

BT

Talked with sightron last and there are coming out with more reticle options and a new i higher powered scope but not until ocober or november. All i need is a 6x24 mildot and i still need to wait another 60 days. bummer

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts