I have a hankering for a LR Pistol...what do I get?

One thing to keep in mind when choosing your caliber is availability of components. For the near and maybe far future 168 A max is not available plus I would not build anything around just one bullet. Most any 6.5 caliber hunting style bullet will work great velocity wise for expansion on game from a 14+" barrel. The Nosler 120 BT. Sierra 120 SP, Hornady 129 SST or SP would really be deadly on deer out of a 260 Rem. One other plus for the 260 Rem is you can make the cases easy from 243 Win which is easy to find if you can't find 260 Rem.

One thing to keep in mind when choosing your caliber is availability of components. For the near and maybe far future 168 A max is not available plus I would not build anything around just one bullet. Most any 6.5 caliber hunting style bullet will work great velocity wise for expansion on game from a 14+" barrel. The Nosler 120 BT. Sierra 120 SP, Hornady 129 SST or SP would really be deadly on deer out of a 260 Rem. One other plus for the 260 Rem is you can make the cases easy from 243 Win which is easy to find if you can't find 260 Rem.

Thanks RT for the advice. I believe that both the 7mm-08 and .260 Rem will fit the bill for the distance and animals that I want to hunt, and both have a myriad of bullets to choose from. I will just keep my eyes open and purchase either one, when I find a good deal.

Anybody have any deals? :)

I am planning to use the pistol for hunting, pure and simple. I love the looks of some of the custom guns being shown, but for hunting I want something lighter and that doesn't require a brake.

How much do a standard XP-100R and Striker weigh? How long are they? I have been looking for specs on the factory guns for some time with no luck.

Thank you, gentlemen!

Factory Strikers with a 14" barrel are around 5.75# with a scope on them. I have a 19" barreled 300 RUM Striker that weighs 6.5# with a handgun scope mounted on there. As far as length goes, they're big! :)

I have a 14" 243 barrel that was stock on one of my Strikers and it handles pretty well and shoots as well as most factory rifles will. It's a pretty good mix of shootability and power without the need to install a brake. I have to say that I've fallen in love with the 284 in the Striker at the moment. Mine shoots the 168 Bergers extremely well!

Andrew

How about a 6.5 x 47 Lapua?
389801e01fd01ee151d9422f8578b5a3_zpsfcd32073.jpg

d30bb852ab04580239a218e01e7621a1_zpsec40ae34.jpg

Ah yes, the 7fingers stock with a right/right target action. Doesn't get much more exotic than that.

As everyone has said, you can go stock, mid or rear trigger, change barrels to any caliber.

My biggest criteria is always the availability of factory ammo, as I shoot with factory calibers.

My vote, box stock Striker in 7-08 and 140gr ammo. Add a Burris 4-12 EER scope, and you're set. May not be pretty, but it'll get bacon. Trigger can be adjusted to a reliable crisp 2lb, great for hunting. You get one in the pipe, 2 in the mag. Weighs in under 6 pounds and gets you in the field shooting.

Want to get more, add a mid length bipod for pack hunting sitting, and a comfortable sling.

Want to upgrade, McGowen has a great deal for Striker owners and you can get up to 17" any contour, any caliber listed, chambered and crowned for $210, I believe. Basic stock can be opened to light varmint contour easily. Or get a Savage factory barrel and lop it off and crowned, works great. New rifle barrels from NSS for about $85. And you can do it yourself with a barrel wrench, action wrench, and go gage.

Want to spend more. Add a fancy stock from several sources. Joel Russo is my favorite.

Want to upgrade more, get a nice rear grip stock like 7fingers and a rifle trigger.

Your $$$, your gun. Ernie is the guru.

Larry
Tinkerer

Beautiful gun 7fingers, and thanks to all for the advice! I thought I would post a quick update...

I have spent several weeks pondering the different LR SP systems, my past experience with handgun hunting, and what I wanted out of handgun hunting moving forward, and I have come to the following conclusions:

1) The reason I didn't like the Encore platform was due to its size, it had nothing to do with the overall mechanics/function of the gun.

2) All of the LR SP pistols will be bigger than the Encore platform.

3) I prefer a smaller handgun...a revolver.

So, in light of all of the above listed conclusions, I will be foregoing the LR SP pistol and going back to my first love...a 5 or 6 shot revolver. More than likely I will save up and get a Freedom Arms Model 83 in .454, but I am not ruling out a BFR or nice, plain jane Ruger.

Thanks again, All!

No problems there.
The closest you will get to a revolver concept in a compact LR SP is the MOA Maximum. It's action is so much stronger than a Encore that it is not worth comparing, excellent trigger and accuracy to boot.

It is a dual port savage target action McGowen barrel chambered and 6.5 x 47 Lapua with a JP break and a 7Finger stock.

I will 2nd the MOA platform as Ernie mentioned , very good gun and can be had for a grand give or take a hundred dollars. real happy with mine , its a 6.5 x 47 lapua.

I am looking at those right now, trying to figure out how you load the case and eject it? Also, is the trigger adjustable?

They look like they could be very accurate.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.