I didn't shoot this big dog.

Ohlongarm

However, I did snare him,he frequents a thick pine grove near me and harasses turkeys that roost in there,I've called him in twice within the last two weeks and he never gives me a killing shot.I get fleeting glimpses of him but he never comes out of this mess. I found his trail and set a snare and here he is ,big well fed brute,turkeys rest easy.I'd rather have shot him but ,I know for a fact he ambushed a few turkeys in there and I can't stand
snared.jpg
for that.So thick in there it's a wonder turkeys get in there much less this brute.

If you don't mind me asking what part of Ohio you in ? I work around Carrollton at least 3-4 days a week . I see coyotes all the time out along the roads up there. Not been able to obtain permission to hunt any private land . Been looking for places to coon hunt and coyote hunt up there. Like to bout once a month go up there and run the coon hound for a night . And bonus in a coyote maybe. Our one salesman from work is supposed to be lining me up on the coon hunting place with his in laws maybe if he can

If you don't mind me asking what part of Ohio you in ? I work around Carrollton at least 3-4 days a week . I see coyotes all the time out along the roads up there. Not been able to obtain permission to hunt any private land . Been looking for places to coon hunt and coyote hunt up there. Like to bout once a month go up there and run the coon hound for a night . And bonus in a coyote maybe. Our one salesman from work is supposed to be lining me up on the coon hunting place with his in laws maybe if he can
Northeast Ohio Summit County,Carrollton County is a great place to hunt ,coyotes ,coon,lots of Amish there you should be able to get some ground if you knock on some doors. I hunt there frequently.

Nice one. I sure do like snaring too. Here is one I snared backed in winter. It was 28 out I think I done him a favor.

Attachments

• IMG_20171230_172055_674.jpg
    IMG_20171230_172055_674.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 423
Nice one. I sure do like snaring too. Here is one I snared backed in winter. It was 28 out I think I done him a favor.
Amen brother ,I've been snaring since age 6,when an Ohio game warden nailed me for snaring ringnecks with monofilament,age 6,I got a stern warning ,however never heeded it.Back then in Parma Ohio pheasants were as common as robins.

Ohlongarm , good going some of them are just very cautious and don't give a person much of a chance at getting them .
You are 100% correct some will never give you an opportunity,such as this boy,while he did respond to distressed turkey call,no shot could be taken in that mess.

However, I did snare him,he frequents a thick pine grove near me and harasses turkeys that roost in there,I've called him in twice within the last two weeks and he never gives me a killing shot.I get fleeting glimpses of him but he never comes out of this mess. I found his trail and set a snare and here he is ,big well fed brute,turkeys rest easy.I'd rather have shot him but ,I know for a fact he ambushed a few turkeys in there and I can't stand View attachment 197521for that.So thick in there it's a wonder turkeys get in there much less this brute.
Just from the pic it looks like a coywolf, (or whatever Wildlife calls the ones that crossbred).

Just from the pic it looks like a coywolf, (or whatever Wildlife calls the ones that crossbred).
Eastern brush wolf,some timber wolf genes in them,Ohio Dnr has dna tested many to confirm this,when Lake Erie freezes timber wolves migrated across the ice from Canada. No weight was taken on that boy but my guess high forties easily.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.