Hydro forming dies, Whidden or Hornady?

Did you know that Nosler has loading data for 280 Rem Ackley Improved in their manual # 4, 1996 and that case length is 2.525". Manual # 5 has same data 2002.. When Nosler # 6 came out 2007 it had SAAMUI Spec 280AI,
they made few changes to the case that was in manual 4/5. If you want PM your address I'll send you data for those 3 manual's. My wildcat 280AI is cut from reamer that Nosler used. I also knew back then it wasn't standard AI. Why would Nosler publish 20yr of data for 280AI case length 2.525" that's not Ackley and no one noticed.
Yes that is correct, the original .280 Remington cartridge "is" 2.540 in length. And....it really doesn't matter and it goes without notice, "until" you decide that you want a .280 Ackley Improved and then you have to sort through all the BS that goes along with what Nosler chose to do compared to P.O. Ackley set out to do with his Improved calibers. Nosler chose to break the line of Ackley Improved calibers by making the donor case, the .280 Remington, .015 thousandths shorter!! From another forum's post, Nosler knew exactly what they were doing, yet they chose to go forward with the modification to the original Ackley Improved case. I guess I am a slow learner because it took me a lot of reading posts, reloading manuals, and comparing to finally decipher exactly what had happened here and what Nosler chose to do. Perhaps they made the change because of marketing and being able to charge a lot more than the case is worth!!??? I was doing some comparisons the other day while online. It was almost as cost effective to purchase .280 Remington brass and fire form the brass as it was to buy the unprimed brass, resize it, prime, charge and put a bullet on it. That was when I was considering the .280 AI SAAMI version of the caliber.

I ordered a hydro die from Whidden on 10/8 using a reamer print for 22-250 AI, hoping to have it this January time frame. They are very up front with leade times and seems accurate as well. Will be using a back up press in the garage.

Yes that is correct, the original .280 Remington cartridge "is" 2.540 in length. And....it really doesn't matter and it goes without notice, "until" you decide that you want a .280 Ackley Improved and then you have to sort through all the BS that goes along with what Nosler chose to do compared to P.O. Ackley set out to do with his Improved calibers. Nosler chose to break the line of Ackley Improved calibers by making the donor case, the .280 Remington, .015 thousandths shorter!! From another forum's post, Nosler knew exactly what they were doing, yet they chose to go forward with the modification to the original Ackley Improved case. I guess I am a slow learner because it took me a lot of reading posts, reloading manuals, and comparing to finally decipher exactly what had happened here and what Nosler chose to do. Perhaps they made the change because of marketing and being able to charge a lot more than the case is worth!!??? I was doing some comparisons the other day while online. It was almost as cost effective to purchase .280 Remington brass and fire form the brass as it was to buy the unprimed brass, resize it, prime, charge and put a bullet on it. That was when I was considering the .280 AI SAAMI version of the caliber.

Nosler wasn't only one that that posted data for 280AI wildcat. Sierra did and was same as Nosler. Nosler didn't break the chain of Ackley Improved. In Speer Wildcat manual they have Ackley's 244 Improved and it has 30deg shoulders. In Ackley's books there is not one case drawing or mention of 280 Ackley Improved. There is 280 Remington Improved, it's blown out version of the 280,or similar to Ackley's 7/06 or similar version.

Nosler # 4 manual loading data is for 280 Remington Ackley Improved. RCBS did loading data for 280 Remington Ackley Improved, sure wans't Ackley You have RCBS doing test. 20yrs of that case in Nosler manual and Sierra now it comes down to Nosler not doing Ackley case but doing similar version and I'll take that one.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.