Hunting Big Game with a .223 Thread on Rokslide

Status
Not open for further replies.

General RE LEE

Have y'all seen this thread over on Rokslide about killing deer, elk, etc with .223?

Am I missing something here? To me, there are much better options for big game hunting than a .223.

This Formidulous guy on Rokslide is like a cult leader. If he started a thread about taco farts improving accuracy long range, there would be a line of young flat bill hat boys at Taco Bell.

A lot of good information in that thread even if you disagree with it, especially if you read all 3300+ posts. The main thing I got out of it was that its better to hit where your aiming with a good bullet in a smaller caliber than miss, or cripple with a larger caliber that you can't shoot properly. Pretty solid info. And if you read very many of his posts you'll see there's a very good reason why people listen Formidulous even though he didn't start that thread.

Last edited:
This 71in moose was taken at 150yds with 2 shots from a .223. He hunts caribou, moose, wolves, seals, and anything that moves with a .223. Notice the crutches, he broke his leg getting the moose into his river boat.

Attachments

• D06F9AA8-0346-40CA-BC58-225E2AF17A0E.png
    D06F9AA8-0346-40CA-BC58-225E2AF17A0E.png
    417.9 KB · Views: 147
I suppose the real question is why??? I have a 22 mag that shoots 35 gr hollow points...6 or 8 in between...all the way up to a 300 WM that shoots 200 gr ELD-X. All of them shoot sub-moa or better. I sure wouldn't take the 22 mag moose hunting, why take a 223? I guess if that was all I had......but most of us don't just have one rifle and it is a 223.

Have y'all seen this thread over on Rokslide about killing deer, elk, etc with .223?

Am I missing something here? To me, there are much better options for big game hunting than a .223.
Did you read the entire thread? If so, you shouldn't be missing anything.

I don't think its saying the .223 is the best option for big game hunting, though the overwhelming evidence shows it is certainly capable when used with certain bullets inside their effective terminal velocity. I think the primary message is that generally bullet construction and hits rates in the field are more important to fast, efficient killing of big game than the caliber/cartridge.

I suppose the real question is why??? I have a 22 mag that shoots 35 gr hollow points...6 or 8 in between...all the way up to a 300 WM that shoots 200 gr ELD-X. All of them shoot sub-moa or better. I sure wouldn't take the 22 mag moose hunting, why take a 223? I guess if that was all I had......but most of us don't just have one rifle and it is a 223.
I asked him the same question, he simply says because it works for him. I too opt for larger calibers for big game. The difference between him and I is that I hunt because I love to and for the meat, he hunts for subsistence for him and his family.

Status
Not open for further replies.