Hunter needs a new barrel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

duckklr

My old Rem 8mm Mag. Rem 700 has a shot-out original factory barrel. I of course want the most accurate, same factory contour installed on my action. Probably just steel ( I'm old enough that I probably won't need another). No, I don't want another caliber, I already have everything I want from .17 Rem to .375 H&H.
Thank you,
duckklr

Thank you, I'll start my search today. I just came back from a successful trip to the Medicine Bow area outside Saratoga (Wyoming) where the rifle performed well at 200yds for a one-shot kill but I'm reluctant to take longer shots.
Thanks again,
duckklr

duckker,

The two things which will come to bear of your quest for a new barrel replacement are:

Who can do the factory contour for drop-in replacement?

Who can handle the 8mm bore size for your cartridge of choice?

Not all custom makers will offer copies of factory barrels due to the variance of dimensions from the factory. Some will use your barrel as the pattern to insure the proper contour and dimensions. Just be aware that you might have to do some subtle inletting of your stock for the new barrel from some suppliers.

The 8mm has been ignored for the last 30 years or so because of the lack of interest in anything 8mm. However, Lothar Walther can and will make you the contour and bore/groove size of your choice. This is very high grade steel used for any barrel they make. Good people to work with and they can thread and chamber for you as well.

https://www.lothar-walther.com/

Enjoy the process!

Thanks again all.
Bartlein does very few 8mm barrels every year and then all at once, maybe twice a year if there is enough demand.
If anybody else out the wants an 8mm barrel cut we might be able to get them to do a special run and speed up the process for us. In my case they don't have a reamer but they might be able to borrow one; worst case I'll buy one for them to use.
Anybody? Anybody?
duckklr

Last edited:
Thanks again all.
Bartlein does very few 8mm barrels every year and then all at once, maybe twice a year if there is enough demand.
If anybody else out the wants an 8mm barrel cut we might be able to get them to do a special run and speed up the process for us. In my case they don't have a reamer but they might be able to borrow one; worst case I'll but one for them to use.
Anybody? Anybody?
duckklr
I would remove the barrel and send it to Krieger so they can duplicate the contour. Then I would send the old barrel, new barrel blank, and action to a Gunsmith and have them true the action and fit the new barrel.

I suggest that you give Olson Gunsmithing in Plains, Montana a call, tell him what you have and what you want to do. He will set you up with any make/contour barrel that you would like on your rifle. He installed two 26 inch Lilja barrels with the Ruger 77 barrel contour for me and blueprinted the actions; like they came from the factory and impeccable workmanship. I think that it was about a four month turnover time, but most of that time was waiting for Lilja to make the barrels. Good luck with your rebarreling job. Dennis Olson is not a high tech operation, so no real web site; but....if you do a search on Facebook with his name some of the work he has done for other gun owners is on there.

I know that 8mm is not loved in the gun community but I've been amazed that almost none of the barrel makers I've called will even think of doing the caliber. I really like shooting the big bores and so far the Rem Mag 8mm is my favorite with the .375 H&H second. (I don't believe in being under-gunned, I like 'em one-shot dead). I guess I'm just the odd duck here.
(btw My early Win Mod 70 .264 seems to crack me more than the 8mm does.)
I suppose this kind of stuff is what keeps us all interested in long guns.
duckklr

P.S. I sent an official email form/request request to Brady at Bartlein so I'm on their list when they decide it's economical for them to do 8mm. I know it's going to worth the wait from all I've read and from people I've spoken with.

There are a few really good barrel makers, and I think Hart will match your current rifles contour. I also agree that this is the time to have the receiver and the barrel faced off for a better than factory fit. I'm not sure if Hart will offer that service as well. If they do just send the barreled action to them. Give them a call, and get all your answers. When you get it back, you may consider a Remington 40 X Trigger or a Rifle Basix trigger!! Best of luck , Lenny

I've shot and sighted in my uncle's model 70 .264 magnum; and I agree it cracks. No matter how much he claims it is a nice gun that he could shoot all day long. I don't own a gun that recoils that much (except when I feed my Mossberg 12 gauge 3 1/2s) or at least that has that much FELT recoil.

I'm shocked that most all barrel manufacturers don't have an 8mm mag reamer. There are actually a few 8mm bore calibers, like the newer 325 short mag and the 8mm Remington mag has been a factory round for a lot of years. A lot of barrels you buy without the chamber reamed all the way out, and then the gunsmith reams it. You might have to buy the reamer, but reamers aren't that expensive and I would think a lot of gunsmiths would actually have one on hand since it is a factory standard caliber and while not ubiquitous like a 30 06 or 270 it isn't that unknown, I mean I know several people who own one and I am pretty sure they still chamber factory rifles in them.

Status
Not open for further replies.