Hunter needs a new barrel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hate my Bartlein barrel. I'll by happy to edit this post if they provide me a replacement for a reasonable price. Erratic velocities and terrible accuracy. Hate this barrel. I would go with Hart or Krieger or air gauge Douglas before waisting money with Bartlein again. Terrible. +\- 50 fps, -150fps on most other barrels and 1.5 to 2 MOA at best with most upper end powders and bullets. I'm close to 400 rounds in load development for hunting loads. Seldom been more disappointed.

Cross

This was brought to my attention by another forum member. So a shout out and Thanks to that forum member!

How do you know what we would or wouldn't help with if you don't call when you have a problem?

That being said your problem might not have anything to do with the barrel itself. Could be something with the chamber reamer that was used? Something happened when it was built by the gunsmith? Which also brings up did you call and talk to the gunsmith at all?

We just had a gun sent into us 4 weeks ago in 6.5x284. Customer had his own reamer. We didn't do the installation. When the gunsmith installed the barrel...either he didn't use proper cutting fluid or didn't flush the chamber/reamer enough or the reamer wasn't properly ground. The reamer tore the throat and shoulder of the chamber. Barrel is junk and cannot be saved but what happen to it had nothing to do with us making the barrel itself.

If you don't call when you have a problem then we cannot help you but going onto a forum and slamming us isn't the proper thing to do.

I'm more than happy to talk to you on the phone and or email us thru our website. You don't put any specific information in your post either.

What are your loads/ammo you are using?

What reamer was used?

How is it cleaning? Any abnormal fouling issues?

I need more information in order to help you.

I don't usually go on this forum and when I do I normally don't log in. So best to contact me directly.

Regards, Frank
Bartlein Barrels Inc.

No, I've never spoken to them. Never wanted to pay for all new threading, chambering, crowning, and Cerakoting but am also very tired of putting 100 trial loads through the rifle before a hunt to try to find a suitable load and then end up taking my sons rifle or some other rifle because it's such a piece of junk. Anyway, that's been my experience and I'm being absolutely honest.
I've never dealt with Bartlein barrels before, however they are one of the top notch barrel makers in the country. I cannot believe that they will not take care of your complaint and at an expeditious manner, they also have the capability to do all the work on your barrel that you've described. Strongly suggest you contact them, and please get back to us after you do, interested to hear the results. What do you have to lose other than a phone call and a little time. If you have a Bartlein barrel you've got some money into it.

NOTE FROM LRH ADMIN
the 2 posts by CROSS violate LRH Rules . It is a perfect example of why we have the rule.

HERE IS THE TEXT OF THE RULE:
7) There will be no threads started for the purpose of airing your problems with companies or individuals you have done business with. (Complaint Threads) Handle those issues privately. This rule applies whether the complaint is against a LRH Sponsor or not.

WARNING ISSUED

Last edited:
This was brought to my attention by another forum member. So a shout out and Thanks to that forum member!

How do you know what we would or wouldn't help with if you don't call when you have a problem?

That being said your problem might not have anything to do with the barrel itself. Could be something with the chamber reamer that was used? Something happened when it was built by the gunsmith? Which also brings up did you call and talk to the gunsmith at all?

We just had a gun sent into us 4 weeks ago in 6.5x284. Customer had his own reamer. We didn't do the installation. When the gunsmith installed the barrel...either he didn't use proper cutting fluid or didn't flush the chamber/reamer enough or the reamer wasn't properly ground. The reamer tore the throat and shoulder of the chamber. Barrel is junk and cannot be saved but what happen to it had nothing to do with us making the barrel itself.

If you don't call when you have a problem then we cannot help you but going onto a forum and slamming us isn't the proper thing to do.

I'm more than happy to talk to you on the phone and or email us thru our website. You don't put any specific information in your post either.

What are your loads/ammo you are using?

What reamer was used?

How is it cleaning? Any abnormal fouling issues?

I need more information in order to help you.

I don't usually go on this forum and when I do I normally don't log in. So best to contact me directly.

Regards, Frank
Bartlein Barrels Inc.

Thanks for writing this reply, for me it makes a lot of sense to "contact the company". You've provided some very valid reasons for the problem/s; and.....good to see that you are willing to stand behind your products. Great response, says a lot about the company!! I just made two builds with another company's barrel (don't remember the reason/maybe wait time?); however, I have one more build to do for my son, I'll try a Bartlein barrel on this one.

Alibiiv,
Sorry, no royal wealthy siblings. I only shoot as far as I can walk and pack-out unless I'm with a guide or professional hunter.
Thanks,
duckklr

Thanks for writing this reply, for me it makes a lot of sense to "contact the company". You've provided some very valid reasons for the problem/s; and.....good to see that you are willing to stand behind your products. Great response, says a lot about the company!! I just made two builds with another company's barrel (don't remember the reason/maybe wait time?); however, I have one more build to do for my son, I'll try a Bartlein barrel on this one.

Thanks!

We stand behind everything we do. If it's something we did with the barrel we will replace it. If we did the installation we'd cover that as well. Again though if the customer doesn't contact us how can we help? We're not even given a chance.

I'd also like to know how and what has been used to clean the barrel as well.

What type of stock or chassis is the barreled action and if it's been bedded or not.

What type of sights/scope is being used?

So far there has been no email or phone call to my knowledge.

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels

I can't ask for more than that.

I'll be contacting the manufacturer within the next few months (it's hunting season).

This will probably get me kicked off of here, but since it's been asked I'll elaborate somewhat and keep it to what I did and what I used. I will not mention my results.

To begin with, all brass started out as new Norma 7RM. No brass fired more than twice. All sized using a Redding Full Size Bushing die down 0.002 below load diameter on an RCBS Rock Chucker. H1000, H4350, H4831, Re-23, Re-26, Fed 215 and 215M, and CCI 250s. Bullets tried are Berger 180 VLDs, 180 Hybrids, 168VLDs, 160 Accubonds, and 175 ELDm's all seated with a Forster Ultra Micrometer seating die anywhere from into the lands out to 0.140 or so.

Never used a brush on the barrel. Always used Hoppes Elite bore cleaner and Wipeout or Patchout for copper. Always with a coated Tipton rod, always from the rear, always with a caliber specific bore guide. Fouling in general is probably moderate. Twist is supposed to be 1:8.5.

This year (rifle is over 3 years old) I tried coating some bullets with HBN to try to get the ES down (didn't help much if any). Remington action and barreled action is professionally bedded in a McMillian Hunter stock. Bedded Xtreme Hardcore Gear 20MOA rail and Xtreme Hardcore Gear low rings hanging on to an NXS 5.5-22 MOAR. Action screws torqued anywhere from 25 to 50 in-lbs. I don't remember if the stock has aluminum pillars or not.

I can't prove anything regarding loading or shooting technique other than to say that I load and shoot many other rifles and while I'm not a benchrest stickler for accuracy, have very little difficulty getting sub-MOA results out of all of my other custom rifles and many factory rifles. Accuracy suitable for long range hunting.

As I said, I'll be contacting the manufacturer after hunting season. I apologize to the manufacturer if they feel they were unfairly attacked.

Cross

Status
Not open for further replies.