Hunter Killed By Deer

The best trick is to NOT stab live deer. But that's just my opinion. I always seem to have at least one spare round in case I need to finish off an animal. Although I can't even remember the last time that happened.
Exactly, if I have bullets or shells left I'm not using my knife... I have had to before on more than one occasion. Most of the time when trailing for others. I had a gut shot doe kick me and cut me for a flip as I approached. Bucks are even stronger And more dangerous. I just always make sure I have a pistol when trailing now.

I don't understand why anyone would use a knife period. It's just dumb. I have seen it done and it's doable, but it's just an unnecessary risk when you can just put another one in the chest.

On my way out of Africa I was asked to help a local farmer cull a diseased giraffe the morning I was flying out. Wasn't going to turn down a free morning of hunting and we went out and located the animal. We put the animal down, but he was still alive upon approach. I went muzzle to skin on the head where the PH advised. Obviously, I didn't hit the brain and the bull went from lifeless to full on standing, thrashing, bucking in an instant while I was standing almost arms reach away. Could of ended badly for sure, I got lucky. Let's just say it was quite the scene when that happened and the biologist who wanted to study the animal probably wondered what the hell we did to the poor thing when he saw how many holes were in it.

I don't understand why anyone would use a knife period. It's just dumb. I have seen it done and it's doable, but it's just an unnecessary risk when you can just put another one in the chest.

On my way out of Africa I was asked to help a local farmer cull a diseased giraffe the morning I was flying out. Wasn't going to turn down a free morning of hunting and we went out and located the animal. We put the animal down, but he was still alive upon approach. I went muzzle to skin on the head where the PH advised. Obviously, I didn't hit the brain and the bull went from lifeless to full on standing, thrashing, bucking in an instant while I was standing almost arms reach away. Could have ended badly for sure, I got lucky. Let's just say it was quite the scene when that happened and the biologist who wanted to study the animal probably wondered what the hell we did to the poor thing when he saw how many holes were in it.
I have only done it when nothing else was available. Like all guns were left at the truck. Every time I have to do it I absolutely hate it.

Beat me to it... Perfect..

I shot down a 6pt buck running in front of the hounds about 25 years ago and when everyone arrived that had been involved with that race the buck was laying on it's side where he fell in the dirt forest road and had been there what was probably close to 10 minutes. One of the hunters grabbed the buck by the antler to cut his throat as several of us shouted NO and in just a fraction of a second the "dead" buck jumped up easily putting an antler tip through the guy's hand and promptly ran off into a very deep and thick cypress head. The trees and brush were so thick in there that it took a couple of small thin young kids about 15 minutes to find him and drag him out.

One of the other hunters took him to the ER to get his hand fixed and I later gave him the antlers that still had his blood on them. I ran into him a few years later and he told me he mounted those antlers on a plaque and kept it in his man cave to remind him that "dead wasn't always dead"... LOL
All deer carry Buck knives.
Mike

Well, President Biden says that Policemen (and Police women) should be trained to shoot people in the leg so it's less lethal. So I'm not buying all this "Femoral Artery" hooey.