Hunter Killed By Deer

A near identical thing happened to a Worland, Wyoming minister back in the '90's (I think). It was before we moved to the area and I may be incorrect on the decade it occurred!

The minister was dragging the deer down a steep ravine, slipped, and an antler severed his femoral artery.

A warning that the most unusual incidents can occur at any time…..especially if you're fatigued and involved in a very physical activity!

"Use Caution" and "Be Aware"…..can't be expressed enough! memtb

Not sure what all happened to this poor hunter other than he got stabbed in the leg by his own knife, while trying to finish off deer. That ole trick, to run in there and slit the deer's throat so they'd bleed out, have done a few but, might not be best advice on a buck with a decent rack. Old Buck gonna know how to use those antlers for defense til the end.

If you don't carry a tourniquet as part of your normal hunting gear you should rethink your gear setup and include some basic trauma gear. Our tools are guns, arrows, and knives. Bandaids don't do much for bullet holes.

I keep a tourniquet in my computer bag that I carry daily for work, 2 in my truck, and 1 in my hunting pack.

Not sure what all happened to this poor hunter other than he got stabbed in the leg by his own knife, while trying to finish off deer. That ole trick, to run in there and slit the deer's throat so they'd bleed out, have done a few but, might not be best advice on a buck with a decent rack. Old Buck gonna know how to use those antlers for defense til the end.

Another good trick;

Stand on the antler (or an ear if it's a doe) when you put the knife in.

Weaver Leather, their cow neck strap 1-1/2" x 40"makes a good pants belt for hunting and not a bad emergency tourniquet. It's always with ya and will work on oil filters too. 33" calf neck strap for bit smaller youths belt and it's only $22 bucks, real leather thats got nickel hardware plus,made in USA

Another good trick;

Stand on the antler (or an ear if it's a doe) when you put the knife in.

The best trick is to NOT stab live deer. But that's just my opinion. I always seem to have at least one spare round in case I need to finish off an animal. Although I can't even remember the last time that happened.

If you don't carry a tourniquet as part of your normal hunting gear you should rethink your gear setup and include some basic trauma gear. Our tools are guns, arrows, and knives. Bandaids don't do much for bullet holes.

I keep a tourniquet in my computer bag that I carry daily for work, 2 in my truck, and 1 in my hunting pack.

Surgical tubing has many great uses - just handy stuff to have around.

The best trick is to NOT stab live deer. But that's just my opinion. I always seem to have at least one spare round in case I need to finish off an animal. Although I can't even remember the last time that happened.

For me it's situational - if a deer is paralyzed and still breathing (due to a spine or a neck shot for example) I won't waste a bullet. These animals typically drop at the shot, and I like to get on them as quickly as possible.

If a deer (or anything else for that matter) runs after being shot, I wait and give it a good head start. When I do eventually go to track it down, no I'll not be chasing after it with a knife...

Thanks for sharing the story, @Old rooster it's tragic to learn of and hopefully some can learn from it.

Safe and happy hunting to all!

Friend I was hunting with in Colorado in the 90s was about to gut a buck he'd killed and grabbed the rear legs to turn it over onto it's back,.unfortunately he had his fixed blade knife in his left hand pointed back towards himself. He stabbed himself in the upper thigh. About three inches deep.When I saw him back at the camp the bleeding had stopped and he wanted me to "fix him up". I'm a national registry paramedic, or was at the time. So I gave him the option to drive to Rifle Colo. To the ER. Or I'd sew him up. Its 90 miles to Rifle from our camp house. He chose me. I poured in copious amounts of hydrogen peroxide, to which made him scream. Then applied a large amount of antibiotic ointment into the cut, then put in eight stitches. No lidocaine! He didn't get out of the camp house the next day. I told him how lucky he was, " I don't feel very lucky at the moment " But he was! He went to his family Dr. When he returned home, to get it checked out, but I'd already told him there was no infection. Some people are just ungrateful! 😀