Hunter’s First Deer!!

Ga6570

took a first time hunter out on a successful harvest today! he borrowed one of my rifles in 6.5 creedmoor using my fave load 127gr Barnes LRX - (the rifle he bought this week still needs setup, he's 18). anyway right at first light he had a chance at a nice 4x4 whitetail, but the other guy with us shot it before he could…😣 then a small 2 stood in front of us at the edge of the meadow looking at the other buck that was hit. he almost shot that one before i caught sight of this deer 75 yards to the left. he missed his first shot at this buck but made impact as the deer was heading up the hill at 190 yards… after 10-15 minutes the deer started back down the hill before we could get up the hill and he finished it off with a shot through the neck… some days mentoring gives back with happy kids!!

Attachments

• A8142372-A3E7-4228-8EFA-D31AFF7CCC82.jpeg
    A8142372-A3E7-4228-8EFA-D31AFF7CCC82.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 102
I've been a mentor with this young man for at least 10 years. worked with him in church and boy scouts. He joined the national guard his junior year of high school and did boot camp that summer. he just graduated from High School (2022) and went to boot camp again in GA to finish up, after boot camp he went to ranger school and did well, but didnt fully qualify in something and just came back 11 days ago.

he messaged me and told me he wanted to get into hunting and wanted advice on rifles as he wanted to buy one to use for deer and elk. i had him come over and we talked guns and gave him a lot of advice. a few days later he texted me saying he just bought a Tikka in 7mm 😁. he hasnt yet got all the parts to mount the scope so i invited him to go out saturday and told him he could rifle share with me.

he did great. first photo i took he just stood to the side of the deer with the rifle pointed down and to the side. i laughed and said i can tell you are in the military. later when i sent the photo to him he laughed and said i see what you mean…

anyway - my wife and I are good friends with his Mother. i decided i would let him send her the first photos of him with a deer rather than me tell her. i got a wonderful message from her yesterday thanking me for being so accepting and mentoring her son.🥰 i told her he was a great kid and this is a pivotal time in his life and he needs good foundation and support to succeed in this day and age.
I'm glad to try daily to follow Christ and love others and be kind…

thanks to all of you as well for all the love!!❤️