Howa 1500 6.5 with Oryx stock for kids?

Jcook02

Hello everyone,
I've spent some time researching a 6.5 Creedmoor for my daughters and wife. This rifle has an Oryx stock and looks to weigh in the 10 lb. range. I want the rifle relatively heavy to help eliminate recoil. A muzzle brake is not optional, as both of my daughters cannot stand the noise from them. I will keep my options open for a silencer down the road, though.

I was going to purchase a 243 for them, but I like the 6.5 as one of them is interested in elk in the near future. I'm guessing I could have a close finish weight of 11 lbs. and really knock most of the recoil out.

I have a 7-08, youth model, but it's very light and has a short barrel. Being short and light, it recoils too much for them. I also have a Rem. Model 700 in 7Rem Mag, but I don't think I could light load it enough to get the recoil to a manageable level for them. I really don't want to alter my 7-08 as that is the rifle that I shot my first elk and deer with. I guess I'm silly, but that rifle means more than any of my other rifles.

We already have a 6.5 Savage, but I would like to add a heavier stock and a longer barrel. The barrel wouldn't be a problem, but I cannot find a heavier stock any where for it. At least one that is in stock.

Any thoughts and suggestions would be great.

Thanks for your input,
JC

90033206-DD38-48D7-89B8-D93B05CA5A1E.jpeg

My 12 year old has been shooting this Howa 1500 in a Boyd's at one stock since he was 8. It is chambered in .270 win with mild hand loads 100 grain Barnes ttsx.

Order a good quality lightweight 7" or so suppressor. Thread the 7mm-08 and buy some of this if you don't reload. If you do reload, then buy some 120 grain bullets and load up some low velocity rounds. I can't imagine an 11-12 elk rifle for kids. Threading the barrel really doesn't alter it much.