Deer rifle choice for kids

prohuntersmind

My son is enjoying sitting with me and I think next year he will be ready to try to shoot a deer himself. I am thinking about getting him a rifle for Christmas this year so we will have plenty of practice time for next season. He is 8 1/2 now so will be 9 1/2 next season. Normal size kid for his age. I have heard good things about some of the handgun loads for rifles that Indiana allows. We now allow high powered rifles as well but I don't think he is read to go that large yet. Of the rounds listed below which would you recommend for a youngster. I know I am asking to have my cake and eat it too but good knock down power with the least amount of felt recoil is my goal. He is not a frail weakling by any means but not one of those stout big kids either.

.357 Magnum, .38-.40 Winchester, .41 Magnum, .41 Special, .44 Magnum, .44 Special, .44-.40 Winchester, .45 Colt, .454 Casull, .458 SOCOM, .475 Linebaugh, .480 Ruger, .50 Action Express, .500 S&W, .460 Smith & Wesson, .450 Bushmaster, and .50 Beowulf. Full metal jacketed bullets are illegal.

Pro, my average size youngest grandson received a .243 to hunt with. He hasn't had any issues with the recoil and is becoming very proficient with it. I realize you are leaning towards the handgun calibers. Perhaps check the recoil of those large pistol caliber in a rifle. I'm betting a .243 or even a 7mm-08 could have less recoil. Either will do an Indiana whitetail easily and he'll have it for a long time. Good luck

Pro, my average size youngest grandson received a .243 to hunt with. He hasn't had any issues with the recoil and is becoming very proficient with it. I realize you are leaning towards the handgun calibers. Perhaps check the recoil of those large pistol caliber in a rifle. I'm betting a .243 or even a 7mm-08 could have less recoil. Either will do an Indiana whitetail easily and he'll have it for a long time. Good luck

Dosh, Thanks, a .243 huh, i will put in under consideration, if he can handle the recoil then why not.

243 and a muzzle break. In fact if you find someone with a larger caliber you might have him try it... lots of ear protection though. You might find with a break he can handle the 7-08 just fine

243 and a muzzle break. In fact if you find someone with a larger caliber you might have him try it... lots of ear protection though. You might find with a break he can handle the 7-08 just fine[/QUOTE

Thats brake by the way.

I see from the Indiana state website that the .243 is legal only on private land. If so, that's a great option.

If you hunt public land and are restricted to the pistol-type calibers, I would look for a 44Mag rifle. You could try a 44 Special for plinking, a Buffalo Bore-style heavy load for deer, and any 44 Magnum load as well.

Because of the new laws in MI/IN/OH the 44 Mag lever action rifle prices have gone up. A new Henry Big Boy is less expensive than a used Marlin.

Good luck!

I see from the Indiana state website that the .243 is legal only on private land. If so, that's a great option.

If you hunt public land and are restricted to the pistol-type calibers, I would look for a 44Mag rifle. You could try a 44 Special for plinking, a Buffalo Bore-style heavy load for deer, and any 44 Magnum load as well.

Because of the new laws in MI/IN/OH the 44 Mag lever action rifle prices have gone up. A new Henry Big Boy is less expensive than a used Marlin.

Good luck!

Out here in Oklahoma we hunt on private lands most times so that gives us a silver lining, 44mag rifle seems like a good option too. Dr. Vette you should do know you gun state laws, Very Much appreciated Sir.

my 8 and 10 year olds love shooting the 300 blackout with barnes black tips. One gun is the ruger ranch 300 blackout and the other is a SBR AR i built. neither has been successful yet in taking a deer (because the deer are no shows or at 500 yards away). Despite that fact they're becoming proficient with the guns during range time. the recoil is so soft it's allowing them to learn the fundamentals with no flinch. it's a great gun for 125 yards and in.... .a distance i'm comfortable with them shooting at that age. As they grow it'll be time for the 243 then up from there.

I have a 10 year old daughter and this year she used her bolt .223. She has also shot 308 with reduced recoil loads and can shoot that quite well.

The one modification I made for her was to get a Boyd's at one stock.

http://www.atonegunstocks.com/

That made a huge difference in comfort for her. I am able to get the LOP and comb much closer in line to make shooting more comfortable. It is adjustable enough that I can shoot it as well if I want and it also added a little weight.

7mm-08 they make factory reduced loads or you can reload. I load my girls with little gun powder shoots like a 223. Then when he gets older he already has a rifle that can handle just about anything.

.start with a 223. Keep it fun to shoot, cheap for you and fun for him will make him a better shot in the long run. It will kill deer just fine. Buy him a bigger caliber when he is ready

If you don't like that route I would look at a 6.5 creedmore. Recoil similar to .243 but with more versatility.

I bought by son and daughter a Handi
Rifle in 243 when they were 8 .
Both are grown and both still love and shoot the little youth model Handi Rifle in 243 . They have piled the deer up with those things . Kinda funny to see my 6'2 200 lb son packing it around but everything he squeezes the trigger on is dead right there .
They don't make the Handi Rifle any more but there are plenty in the pawn shops and gun Broker even here on the classifieds now and then. Good luck

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.