How will my cases fail and when?

I`m actually learning a lot from this. My dad always told me I could learn something from everyone, some right, some wrong. Lol Guess I`m too set in my ways sometimes.

If you actually tried to do what I posted, you would quickly agree.

Take the 6.5 creed case for example, a large primer pocket case will take less abuse over the small primer pocket case. Different design is what dictates failure points. You can run the small primer pocket case much harder.
Small primer versus large primer is NOT your argument.
Your argument is false, neck sized cases DO NOT last longer than partial FL sized cases. Running cases with mild loads is a feeble excuse to carry your argument into reality, it doesn't.
All cases, except those that are used for very reduced loads (which actually increases headspace over time) expand upon EVERY SINGLE FIRING, this happens no matter how much you say it doesn't.
I know all too well how a small primer case withstands more PRESSURE than a large primer case does……it's a mathematical term called AREA OF A CIRCLE.
You can argue all you like, but what you say just ain't so…….

Cheers.

Also, how much you work your brass when resizing will have an affect on case neck life.

As far as splitting the necks the following options would affect brass life but less so since your are annealing between firings. After firing, how do you resize your brass? In order of most to least working of brass"

1) Factory FL or neck only resizing die with factory button inside?

2) Custom FL or neck only die with stem & button removed to minimize resizing reduction in diameter, then size with a mandrel? It still has to work with various neck thicknesses.

3) Bushing dies where you only reduce the neck enough, based on neck thickness, so a mandrel still has something to enlarge to reach final desired "neck tension".

Note: I have not tested these options with annealing to see if annealing makes all of these options equal in terms of case neck life.

Of course primer pockets may still be the weakest link and fail first depending on how "warm" you are loading.
I'm going to pick number 2. I have Whidden bushing dies made for this reamer.

Small primer versus large primer is NOT your argument.
Your argument is false, neck sized cases DO NOT last longer than partial FL sized cases. Running cases with mild loads is a feeble excuse to carry your argument into reality, it doesn't.
All cases, except those that are used for very reduced loads (which actually increases headspace over time) expand upon EVERY SINGLE FIRING, this happens no matter how much you say it doesn't.
I know all too well how a small primer case withstands more PRESSURE than a large primer case does……it's a mathematical term called AREA OF A CIRCLE.
You can argue all you like, but what you say just ain't so…….

Cheers.
What you are saying is that working the brass more makes it last longer. That could actually be a meme it's so ridiculous.

My first case failure was case separation. It's was on the 6th or 7th firing on some 6.5 Creedmoor Nosler brass. Be sure you are inspecting your brass for separation. This happens from full length sizing and bumping the shoulder each time, especially more than two thousandths. Now when I see brass that has a visible line on the exterior case wall just above the base I toss it.

Last edited:
I'm surprised it lasted more than 3-4X bumping 0.020". I'm not even sure how you do that unless your die is undersized and chamber oversized and way out of spec.
My first case failure was case separation. It's was on the 6th or 7th firing on some 6.5 Creedmoor Nosler brass. Be sure you are inspecting your brass for separation. This happens from full length sizing and bumping the shoulder each time, especially more than twenty thousandths. Now when I see brass that has a visible line on the exterior case wall just above the base I toss it.

I heard a .303 LeeEnfield was hard on brass and tried the fire forming process to increase loadings.
Basically, you use baking powder with a cotton plug for a charge. Then a 'o' ring around the case head to keep the case from stretching back into the bolt head. Without the 'o' ring the brass would flow forward and eventually separate above the web. Never counted how many firings but remember them being about the same as any other case in the .303 class.