How well does the average big game hunter shoot?

Competitive shooting will do wonders for increasing shooting ability. The first time I shot in a NRA Hi Power Match, I was amazed at everybody's ability - everybody was hitting tiny targets, in black area and many 10's & X's up to 600. No mechanical rest, only sling & glove except offhand at 200. I was fearful that I would screw up real bad & wind up with a score of 97 out of 500; I did not - motivation to perform well took over. After the competitive season was over most of the target shooters went on to hunt and easily killed deers & elks.

If "average hunters" got into competitive shooting, there would be easy & quick sight-ins before hunting season and big game harvest increases.

A trip to the rodent grounds, with more than 50 or sometimes 100's rounds fired at tiny targets at longish ranges boosts skills, confidence, and weapon familiarity. No stuffed rodent heads in dens or living rooms & no cut & wrap in freezer. I thought about having a big chuck stuffed (mounted) but did not, thinking I could shoot a bigger one later that was more intact.

For many years I displayed two
8 point bucks that belonged to a good friend. We went over to his trailer for supper. As he headed down the hall 1 reached out and grabbed him. He said grab that other one, I'm going to throw them away. I figured it was just the heat of the moment, so I put them in my truck. I couldn't get him to take them back. I never removed the plaques figuring that one day I'd give them to his son. Unfortunately his son got killed. They now are at my old hunting club, still with their plaques and hoping that one day he'll want them back. He has a much larger home now so he has room.
I had some fun while I had them. I put 50 lb. coydog (?) tails on their heads and told some of the people that noticed that they were a northern sub-species. They were Mohawk deer with the pronounced hair blended on the top of their head. They still have the tails on them as far as I know.
The few of us that knew really had a ball with it for years.

^^ Right there is the proper way to spend time on the range. Make it a training day, instead of a general term "practice"

You go to the range with a plan and after action assessment. Train and train till you can't do it wrong. With a clear understanding what caused a shot not on call. Like I tell the kids we train, I appreciate an 8 on call, than an X not on call. However, there is silver lining on shots not on call as long as it lays down on the waterline. It is an opportunity to asses the cause. Did the coach missed the wind or the shooter jerked it there.
I learned that from a LASD deputy. "Every time you handle a firearm is a training opportunity.". That was his mindset. I've kept that philosophy in almost all areas of firearms. The only time I haven't was rock chuck and coyote hunting lol. First few times I got a shot at them I got all giddy and buck fever set in. After realizing that I go back to the training mindset and everything starts falling into place.

Last edited:
Competitive shooting will do wonders for increasing shooting ability
This is definitely true! I have never shot firearms competitions but years ago I was a avid archery hunter and thought I was pretty good shot and then I attended a 3-D archery shoot. I wasn't nearly efficient as I thought but over the course of the summer after shooting with much better shots than me my scores went from 200 up to the 280 range out of a possible 300. The extra pressure of onlookers also helps control nerves while taking shots in hunting situations.

Competitive shooting will do wonders for increasing shooting ability. The first time I shot in a NRA Hi Power Match, I was amazed at everybody's ability - everybody was hitting tiny targets, in black area and many 10's & X's up to 600. No mechanical rest, only sling & glove except offhand at 200. I was fearful that I would screw up real bad & wind up with a score of 97 out of 500; I did not - motivation to perform well took over. After the competitive season was over most of the target shooters went on to hunt and easily killed deers & elks.

If "average hunters" got into competitive shooting, there would be easy & quick sight-ins before hunting season and big game harvest increases.

A trip to the rodent grounds, with more than 50 or sometimes 100's rounds fired at tiny targets at longish ranges boosts skills, confidence, and weapon familiarity. No stuffed rodent heads in dens or living rooms & no cut & wrap in freezer. I thought about having a big chuck stuffed (mounted) but did not, thinking I could shoot a bigger one later that was more intact.

I used to hunt jackrabbits with a 10" barrel Freedom Arms .454 with a scope. This was back in the '80's and '90's when scopes were disposable to a .454. Its best cylinder full groups were under 2" for five shots at 100 yards. Of course, hunting was off hand. I regularly took jacks past 100 long steps. The longest was 206. I aimed about one full rabbit high. When I was on the way home, I thought, I should have had that one mounted.

Just for information's sake with: A 260 grain Freedom Arms bullet at 2,014 feet per second would out penetrate a 7mm 175 grain Nosler Partition in sawdust when fired at 3,150 feet per second.

And add in some 100 yds dashes while at the range to get your heart rate up will help with trigger control when hunting.

Many years ago on another forum, I suggested similar in a "postal match" to better simulate a "real" hunting situation (exertion/excitement)……it was "VERY" soundly rejected by the other participants!

I guess that their hunting required zero exertion and they never experienced any adrenaline rush! Certainly a different form of hunting than what I've done for 60+ years! 😉 memtb

I used to hunt jackrabbits with a 10" barrel Freedom Arms .454 with a scope. This was back in the '80's and '90's when scopes were disposable to a .454. Its best cylinder full groups were under 2" for five shots at 100 yards. Of course, hunting was off hand. I regularly took jacks past 100 long steps. The longest was 206. I aimed about one full rabbit high. When I was on the way home, I thought, I should have had that one mounted.

Just for information's sake with: A 260 grain Freedom Arms bullet at 2,014 feet per second would out penetrate a 7mm 175 grain Nosler Partition in sawdust when fired at 3,150 feet per second.
I'm traveling across the US with my RV. We got to our campsite in Montana and the owner told me I could shoot all the gophers I wanted. I let me know my rifles were over powered to do that. So decided to bring me her 22 with a box of shells. I ran out of shells bought more, also bought enough to replace the ones she gave me. These small targets even with a gun not setup for me are a blast (pun was intended). This gives me some trigger time while on vacation

I have several hunting friends that can hit a dime almost every time at 200 yds from a bench, but put a 4x4 mulie in front of them and they are lucky to touch hair at the same distance. I know for myself, if I practice diligently at the range and shoot at least 500 rounds in the off season, I'm very likely to be filling the freezer. In my mind, it is not acceptable to miss at any range that is within your self imposed max.