How many big game animals per year

ven

A mate and i were dissusuig how lucky we are with no regulations on how many deer we shoot a year. yet here in the uk we have loads of deer.

How many big game animals do you harvest per year and what would be your average range.

Last edited:
We have fairly liberal bag limits here in the SE USA. I could take probably 21 legal animals a season because I hunt neighboring states as well as my home state with multiple weapon types. Since I primarily hunt for table fare I limit myself to 3 or 4 whitetails and one larger animal such as an elk or bison per year. If I cant make a hunt for a larger animal I will go to Texas for a couple of axis and pigs. I have learned through trial and error that we eat about 6 deer sized animals per year since neither the wife or myself care much for processed beef or pork. Rule around my house, if we arent going to eat it and it doesnt help the herd or habitat to remove it.....it walks.
Most of my shots are limited to short range by terrain and vegetation. I do have a couple of spots that allow up to 600 yard shots one 800+ spot and access to a spot that allows shots up to a mile. I havent shot much past 1400 and basically limit myself to 800.

Since I retired, I kill maybe four hoofed animals a year and that is more than we eat.

I like being outside and going places and doing things and seeing things. I do not much shoot at under 500 yards anymore. That is just killing and not much fun. Past those distances, the animal at least has the chance that I will miss and it will live another day. I like the animals. There was a pale creamy red part albino whitetail buck that I watched for several days last year and never shot because he was just so pretty and the range was never over 350 yards. I haven't seen him this year so I hope the poachers didn't get him.

If I get all the tags I applied for I will be able to kill 7 deer (only one buck), 2 antelope, 1 elk, 1 sheep, and a partridge in a pear tree. The sheep is the only tag that I probably won't get.

well around 30 deers per year, distant ? from 100 to 400 meters, maybe thi syear start hunting wild hogs

I usually take 2-3 whitetail deer a year with a bow, 1-2 with a rifle and 1-2 with a muzzleloader, plus an elk about every other year. In most parts of Missouri you can take an unlimited number of antlerless deer at $7 a tag.

Animals per year

In Texas we can kill 5 whitetail , no more than 3 bucks, and all of the hogs you can stand. I usually kill about 10 hogs. Adverage shot is 125 yards.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.