How to Solidify a Hunting Heritage for your Kids

Doublezranch

I was not brought up hunting. In fact, I grew up traveling around the world playing the sport of hockey which I loved dearly. However, every holiday my family would get together and I would listen to my uncles talk about the bucks they shot, the one that got away, and how the deer sausage this year was better then it ever has been before. I was a little jealous to say the least but I had hockey and that was enough.
When I retired from professional hockey there were 2 things I did immediately, the first was take my hunters safety course, and then buy a rifle. I encouraged my father to do the same (even though he was old enough he didn't need it) and we started shooting. Soon it was time to apply for tags. We applied for antelope. As luck would have it we got our ND antelope and we went. Dad had no idea what a antelope was so the first day was just him admiring the beauty of these majestic animals. We struggled terribly but were able to tag our animals.
That hunt took place 20 years ago. It has stuck in my head as one of the most fun hunts I have ever experienced. The travel, the laughs, the trials and tribulations. Most of all, there were tons of animals and I could truly go after the one I wanted too.
Now I am a father with 3 children. I have 2 hockey players and one volleyball player. They have been hunting with me since they could walk. I made a special orange frame pack for them to sit in while we were walking. I knew that they had interest in hunting, however, I knew that by making their first hunt something super fun, they would be hooked for life. There first hunt and subsequently the hunt that has hooked both my daughter and son was a Wyoming Antelope hunt. My dad and I make the camping arrangements, but the kids pick out all the food, games, hunting spots. We go the day before and Zayne drives with Zaylea ridding shotgun. They mark the way points on the GPS themselves and navigate the country figuring out what animals will make their hit list. They are 17 and 14 and I can safely say with everything that happens in their day to day routine, the yearly antelope hunt is top of the list. These kids are hooked for life not because of the hunt, because of the freedom they experience in the outdoors. They call the shots, they figure out the stalk, they decide what's for dinner. An antelope hunt gives the kids lots of animals to try things.
If you have children that are interested in hunting, but are still on the fence. I suggest a Wyoming antelope hunt and let them discover what hunting is all about. It's not the kill, it's the freedom, the fun, and the memories that are made that will hook them forever.

Jayson

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.