How do you get your gear to & from a long dis. hunt

unclefish

Just wondering how you get your guns gear coolers to a long distance hunt.
Have you made a custom box to fit a back of a truck. Or just load up a trailer.
Many of us can't miss work for that long.
I just checked into shipping a couple totes by common carrier and was shocked ..then if you do get animals worrying about the coolers staying cold till they get back. Then there is the option to just UPS some of the stuff to where you are going then ship back.take the rest on plane. Not sure what it would cost to have a elk butchered packed in boxes then shipped back. I know in past I have filled up 2 of my 120qt coolers with a cow elk and dry ice and had it back within 3 days and the outside of the cooler is still frozen . Just thinking maybe not to drag trailer so I could make a little better time and save on fuel mileage . Or just pay a lot extra get on plane be fresh to hunt the week I'm there.

How many people are you hunting with, how many tags do you have, what species are you hunting, where are you staying/sleeping (hotel, trailhead with tent, backcountry tent) and how far are you driving

This would be very helpful in making some suggestions.

Last edited:
I had a 5'x8' fully enclosed trailer built. I had the interior height held to just under 6'. This keeps the exterior height of the trailer at about the height of the roof rack on my Sequoia.
I can put six 120qt coolers on the floor, six more on top of them if needed and there is room for gear on top of that. Frozen meat will stay frozen for much longer than the 3 days it typically takes to drive home. Nearly frozen meat stays perfectly cold and no ice is needed. We have never had a problem with the coolers and they are easy to load and move around. I find the coolers preferable to a chest freezer and generator.
For me, the trailer was needed because we travel with 3-4 hunters. Splitting the travel cost really helps. Gas alone from NY to Northern Idaho cost over $2,000 one year.
Generally, you need more coolers than you would think. A butchered moose will fill 3 big coolers and the hide will fill a 4th. We have taken 3 moose on one trip. I have 4 guys going on an elk hunt this Sept. If everyone is successful we will need all the coolers and room on top for the racks.
The trailer proved to be a very good investment for me and my primary hunting buddy. It has been to Newfoundland and Northern Canada several times and out west several more.

Just a few things to consider.

Have a friend drive the truck with all your gear and coolers. You just fly there and back. ;)

I think coolers and dry ice by personal vechile is the least expensive option. Just have to add all the options up and see how it works out. Have done dry ice shipping years ago, before they classified it as a hazardous material and started charging crazy prices for transporting it....

I have always been with groups of guys that drove . this past season the guys I hunted with had 2 guys that could not be away that long . three of us drove and carried all the gear . the 2 guys that flew only carried an overnight bag with them . they rented a truck and met us at the camp . they flew back home , and the 3 of us hauled everything back .

An odd thing that I noticed when crossing the border with the trailer; not even once were we ever asked to open the trailer when crossing into or out of the USA. ?? We often cross at odd hours and there are plenty of border patrol/custom officers in the crossing station with little to do but they never ask.

In a post 911 era, this is quite surprising.

Only when leaving Newfoundland and getting ready to board the ferry do they ask to inspect the trailer before they power-wash the undercarriage and wheel wells. And that isn't an international border crossing. Hmmmmm

Depends on how far away you go and what your terrain is like. This has an evolving process for 25 years with my hunting pals. As we got older and could afford more gear. No more of having to take back packs and sleep in a cheap nylon tent.

Out moose and elk area are about a 12 hour drive from where we live.

It cost us lots to upgrade and upgrade til we were finally close to ideal.

Firstly 3 of us have snowmobile trailers that vary from 21 to 24 feet. We load 2 quads in each on and all the coolers and food. When we get there, we unload and put cots (2 guys per trailer we have tried 3 one year but too crowded). We have a big outfitters tent to cook and be around the stove in the evenings, we have generators to run heaters in the trailers at night. I am guessing that it cost me alone over $75,000 CDN to get to this point not including the diesel pick up to pull these trailers. This works well for min 7 to 10 days of hunting.

Like you we have had guys who suddenly can't get away for all or part of the trip. We always have all the trailers at my house and other than food we have them all loaded in the evenings the week before for this reason. We have guys drive up for 2 days, have all there gear and then leave.

The guys are aware that 3 of us spent the money on the trailers so the other guys get all the fuel and groceries (don't as about refreshments for the evenings) to make up for their lack of capital investment.

Where we have been going for 12 years, you would ruin a holiday trailer getting in and out. A high (above axle) sled trailer is made to get into more remote areas. If you are on the prairies, I used to have a cheap holiday trailer I paid $500 for and then put my quad in the back of the truck.

This again only to our conditions and hunting opportunities. Not an antelope set up but ideal for our type of hunting. It is just another idea that you might be able to pick out a couple of ideas to adapt for your situation.

If I can only go for a couple days, I rent a hotel closest to the area and just take my pickup to haul game. For this I have a separate bin with the gear I need to process game

Keep us posted! Having the right gear can make a hunt turn from a terrible experience to a great one.

RIFT1000a.jpg

Was thinking about sending 2 of these stacked with 2 in straps around them. 1 with gear in it for 4 guys. And the other to send home with meat if we are fortunate to take some elk and Mule deer. They quoted me 800 to ship to Denver and 1000 to ship home. So basically 450 bucks per person for shipping.

LOL
Costco sells prime rib quite reasonable price.

Last years moose cost $186 a lb.

If I have you over for a BBQ I can only afford to give you a 4 once ste

Very hard to put a price on a trip like hunting out west. Yes what most of us spend between gear guns cloths a place to stay and how we all decide to get there. I could have my own heard of cows and have all the beef I would ever want for the rest of my life . But I have a feeling I am not the only 1 in the boat doing this ....

Last edited:
If I remember right When i checked into shipping a processed elk for one of my guys from Colorado to Indiana was Nearly $800 Through Ups. Only Allowed 40lbs Per Package.

There is A Shipping Company That Comes through Town that specializes in shipping meat and Taxidermy and it was maybe $100 cheaper.

A trailer and coolers would be the cheapest option if it becomes a yearly trip i would guess

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.