How to Reload Unloaded Cases... Neck Tension?

Full Curl

I got my hands on around 100 loaded 300rum rounds but just want the Norma brass. The brass is new and never been fired. Been loaded for a few years time. Obviously, I can pull the bullets and empty the powder but won't my neck tension be off if I just reload them? And when I say off, I mean in comparison to other new, never loaded cases I have. Should I run them through my FL size die but just don't touch the shoulders? Or should I just load them and shoot them. Am I over thinking this? Thanks.

In my experience you won't know if the neck tension is adequate until after you pull the bullets and try inserting a mandrel or bullet into the emptied case.

Also depends on how much neck tension/interference you consider "good" for seating.

Even if the neck tension is sufficient to hold a bullet, it will be different from your other sized cases, leading to discrepancies, mostly in velocity (probably lower) unless you run .001" neck tension already.

Pull apart the rounds
Remove the decapping pin from your FL sizing die (or pull the decapping pin from a neck sizer) and run the case through
Wipe off case
Load
Shoot

Even if the neck tension is sufficient to hold a bullet, it will be different from your other sized cases, leading to discrepancies, mostly in velocity (probably lower) unless you run .001" neck tension already.

Pull apart the rounds
Remove the decapping pin from your FL sizing die (or pull the decapping pin from a neck sizer) and run the case through
Wipe off case
Load
Shoot
X2

Thanks all! They will definitely hold a bullet but I'll run them through the FL die. I don't have a neck sizer. Now I just have to figure out how to set the die to only touch the neck and not the shoulder at all.

Pull apart the rounds
Wipe off case
Load
Shoot
X3

WOW. Very interesting. I often ask myself how much do I over think some things?? I wonder if his data would have been different if he switched out to a completely different bullet? Theoretically no, but in reality maybe??

Thanks for sharing!