How to make deer bacon ...

We tried making venison bacon with deer and moose in a commercial meat processing facility that processed pork into ham and bacon. Wild game doesn't have enough fat or a good tasting fat to make a product that tastes even remotely like bacon...

How to make venison bacon:

Start with 12lbs of pork. Okie dokie.
Grind into a paste. Ummmmmmm.

What we have here is either meatloaf with an odd seasoning pack or homemade spam. Either way, not sure calling it bacon is a justifiable act. Still, cool meatloaf recipe for venison.

Take all that stuff you are makng into bacon...
Throw it in a big pot...bring it to a boil......let it cool down over night.....feed it to the dogs....

So much love for this... lol.
I let my wife buy the groceries for a family pack-in elk hunt a couple years ago. When my uncle opened the cooler and pulled out turkey"bacon", I thought I was gonna be disowned! All week long, I had to put up with snide, passive-aggressive remarks being (in)directed at the lack of proper nutrition due to alternative meats.... it's still going on today!

So much love for this... lol.
I let my wife buy the groceries for a family pack-in elk hunt a couple years ago. When my uncle opened the cooler and pulled out turkey"bacon", I thought I was gonna be disowned! All week long, I had to put up with snide, passive-aggressive remarks being (in)directed at the lack of proper nutrition due to alternative meats.... it's still going on today!
Turkey bacon? :eek: Git a rope.

Deer bacon ??? haven't heard of it before. i have heard about someone making bacon from buffalo with success.

I like the idea of it, sometimes I have so much venison I am trying to find new ways of using it apart from the normal bbq, stews, snags, jerky etc.

I did try to do a natural corned venison once without any nitrites(which is what they normally use-pink salt) & it was ok but yeh the fat level was missing.

The only thing im not keen on is the MSG in that powder, nasty stuff but in so many product. Im sure you could use the same individual ingredients & add a natural flavour enhancer.

I don't see any reason why you couldn't also put that mix into like a sausage skin or make into salami rounds?

Thanks for sharing ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.