Venison Bacon?

Bill Maylor

Dose anyone have a recipe for Venison Bacon? And would the like to share it with us on-line? I have looked and looked with no luck. I met some one this week that hunts in Kentucky and has it made their. I live and hunt in FL, and no one around here has even heard of it. Bill Maylor.

I have had the meat processors brine and smoke tenderloins soaked in Canadian bacon brine.

Is goooood!!! They smoke the whole thing then you cut it thinly perpendicular to the grain.

They will give you a funny look when you ask for this.

MagMan, Thanks for the reply. I also heard it is very very good. I would like to try some. Bill, from Kentucky says the Venison is mixed 75% to 25% pork , ground with spices and placed in a pan about 1 to 1.5 inches deep, then chilled for a day then smoked for an unknown time. Then it is cut into strips and frozen until ready for cooking. He said its better the any bacon you have ever had. He is dose not know the exact recipe. I was hoping someone on this site might know of this secrete recipe. Bill Maylor

Hi,
My local butcher smokes venison back straps that I give him. Nothing special required, they tast very good sliced up thin and fried up with your eggs for breakfast.
Topshot.

Hi Bill, My mom used to make it years ago it is easy and tasty. She used Mortons sugar cure its a curing mixture you rub on the meat and leave on for 24hrs per lb if I rember correctly. Using back straps works the best. I haven't had any in a very long time but was thinking about making some. Mom used to make bacon and hams from our hogs and also cure alot of wild meat for a change. If you can find some Mortons sugar cure follow the directions. I believe she also used to soak the cured meat in water for a bit to remove some of the salt. No smoking required but couldn't hurt. Keep experimenting till you get the taste you like. Elk, deer, moose all were tasty. Good Luck BB

Bill, check out baldhunter,s post on the smoking thread he is doing pretty much what mom did for curing ham and bacon ect. We just never got into smoking our meat. Bon appetit.
icon7.gif

Thanks MagMan, You hit the jackpot:). I am going to try this recipe on some fresh venison this season. This sounds just like the recipe that Bill from Kentucky talked about. Thanks again, Bill Maylor.

Bill, I thought that sounded like a good recipe so I made some. Warning 25 lbs is a lot of bacon for the first time batch.

It is very tasty but needs to be fried in a pan or cooked on the grill (I suppose broiling it wouldn't be bad either). Even being smoked it kind of tastes like bologna if you don't cook it again.

There is also a fine line between to thick and to thin of strips.

A cheap meat slicer works well for consistent cutting.

I smoked mine with apple and it doesn't seem overpowering.

MagMan, Thanks, I am looking foward to trying this reciepe. I still have some venison in the freezer for jerkey. I want some fresh meat to work with. Our deer season just open for 4 days during thanksgiving weekend. It is now closed untill next weekend and stays open through mid Feb. I did see lots of does and 3 small bucks. I will shoot a doe during doe week for the meat, and won't shoot a buck unless he is a wall mounter. I am looking foward to the Venison Bacon tast test:). Bill Maylor.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts