how to hold a 300RUM LG

JustC

I see in another thread that some of you guys suggest holding onto a LG in 300rum in a certain way. I am interested in how to hold guns in the LG category for competitive shooting at 1000yds. I have a mcmillan tooley stock on my 300RUM and would appreciate any insight from you long range shooters who are already doing it.

I never really held mine any different than any other gun.I did hold it pretty tight to my shoulder.Letting a gun with that kind of snot free recoil is a good way to end up with a split brow...
grin.gif

I've a custom 17 Remington, that loves free recoil, and a 7mm Rem Mag that loves to be leaned on. I push it forward with my shoulder until the rear of the front rest starts to rise, then ease off until it is barely touching the table.

My other rifles fall somewhere in between.

I still haven't figured out how my 300 Tomahawk wants to be held. But I sure am having fun trying to find out!

i let mine free recoil and it seems to shoot better that way, but then again, more than once i've gotten the split brow Boyd mentioned....

-brian

Thanks you guys,.....I think
confused.gif
I have tried several ways and a slight lean seems to fit the bill. If I grip her too tight,..I get poor groups,..and I don't think I will go free recoil on this rig.

Boyd,..my setup is almost identical to yours,..so I will be trying your method right off the bat next time out.

Mountain man,..I have had that before,..I think I'll pass on it for a second time
grin.gif

Tim,...I know the feeling. This rifle just seems to be a different beast,...but the blast from her is sure a fun thing to experience,..over and over,...and over,..and over.....and
cool.gif

[ 08-20-2003: Message edited by: JustC ]

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.