how to figure ring height for enough clearance?

lovdasnow

I've got a NF nxs 5.5-22x56 scope that I am putting on a rem 700 cdl, and was wondering which ring height to get? Is there a formula you guys use?

I'm getting a 20moa base(either a badger, nightforce, or farrel base, prob the latter) and either leupy mk4, nightforce, or badger rings...

my barrel is at the gunsmith, so I don't have it to measure from. I wanted to get my harware ordered so when I get my gun back I can mount the scope on it?

thanks, oh also do you guys reccomend lapping my rings, and if so where to buy the tool for it..

sorry for all the questions? but thanks for your help!

I think I have to many variables.

Does anyone know where I could start looking for info?

Didn't see a lot on the nightforce website, and couldn't find a badger ordinance website....thanks

thanks magman, that site is great, and I'll check out those burris rings..thanks

I've got it narrowed down to Badger 20moa base. and hoping the med(.885) height alloys will work to clear the 56mm objective.

anybody confirm that this will clear?

[ QUOTE ]
never mind, I got a hold of Marty over at badger, and he helped me out. Just ordered them.

[/ QUOTE ]

What did you find out????

well they don't make med highs(1.00") in the alloy, so I had to get the steel rings in the med high...
He said that the med(.885") alloys would fit, but if I rebarrel with a heavier barrel they wouldn't fit, and they wouldn't clear scope covers either.

so I ordered them up, and can't wait to get them even if they will be a little heavier than I would like. hope that helps someone else...

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.