How to check if you need to Lap?

Thats why my original Q was looking for a trick to check scope body contact to see % contact!

The action is made by H-S and they do a good job on squareness and straightness

Not sure of any quick trick. Inletting black or sooting would be my next guess My not work well since either are black.

I bought Talley lightweights, after a couple strokes with the bar it was quite evident that lapping was necessary. Maybe that was moreso Winchester's fault but with a two piece system there's simple no way you can guarantee perfect alignment, especially when you've got no control over how well the "top of the bottom" has been machined.

Like Alex Wheeler said put your rings on tight first and then mount as there is always a little play with the screws to help with alignment, esp on factory guns.
Correct, I wonder how many people blame the ring quality on 2 pieces when it is really the rifle manufacturer!
I remember that tape back in the old days. Prob not made anymore but I bet some high grade medical tape or whatever could so the same trick. Better chemistry these days.
My rings should arrive today. I had another set of 1in talley lightweights I probably wasnt ever going to use and was going to practice on them. I had them in my hand a week ago in my little gun room and now I absolutely cannot find them or remember what I did with them. And I am only 57. pretty pathetic!

I have not doubt that the Talleys are machined perfect and that the rifles are always the issue.

Well my first lapping experiment didnt go too well. The Talleys I ordered showed up with the wrong screws so I couldnt check them. I had my wheeler kit unpacked and I wanted to try it out. I found a pair of $200 Larue QD for my AR that werent used. So I put them on and checked alignment. They were off unless I took the mounts off and on to readjust a few times. I got them straight and then lapped. I found one high spot about 3x3mm and smoothed it out. I then washed them with dish soap and the black finish on the outside of the rings just melted right off!!! They are steel rings so ruined. I called Larue and was told tough **** because we say we dont recommend lapping and what you did using some compound obviously damaged the anodzing. Not true and not true! I sent an email to the head man see what happens. So much for mil-spec! glad I didnt use them in the field with deet on my hands!

I think the lesson learned is not to mess with the lapping on cnc made rings and just use the aligment bars.

Bummer. They anodizing with black permanent felt markers?

In the future I intend to check scope tube to lower ring fit with my lapping bar by very slight lapping to mark any high points of contact.
Then, if needed, bed the lower half ring in epoxy bedding compound, with the release agent on the scope tube. Perfect, non-slip fit every time.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.