How to ask this question?

Where does a rifle designer builder start when ,building employing,installing any type ,
Any type of peep sight on a rifle, semi or bolt?

Basically ,I have a custom used to be mini 14 ,and would like some type of adjustable,removeable sights..
Similar to those used on that Remington m24 .......
OK Weber?

Now I have googled for weeks trying to find a book or books on this subject...
And have email several builers to no avail....

I would even consider some one machine ing ,the Ruger reciever to put on to it the M1A rear sight assembly...

Do the designers start with the rear sight or the front sight..?

Do they have to be on the same plane,even level sight plane to start out?
Any book recommendations or reference links would be appreciated...

The rifle is ss,Ruger with a 20inch .900 dia barrell...If any one knows a machinist or smith ,builder ...ASI built it sev yrs past....They do not offer what I am looking for....
Thx....still googling

152, Brownell's has a large selection of front and rear sights, including detachables and bases. Also they have instructions for calculating sight heights to match fronts and rears. It'd give you at least a start, and you might find what you are looking for.

If you find what you want, don't let a mullet drill and tap your receiver or barrel. I've seen some real messes.

Good luck, Tom

Thanks and have been to there web page ...

Still looking for the basic answers...

Like I posted ,sometimes I do not know how to ask the right question....

I found and purchased a book from Amazon on rifle sights and all,it shows a lot of great technology,very dated tho,but close to what I was looking for..
http://www.amazon.com/dp/0896896986/?tag=lrhmag19-20'

Like why is the AR sights 2,6,or 2,8 inches above the bore,
And any similar question for any iron sighted rifle...

Or a non sighted rifle,where to start on finding good or appropriate sights for it?
What could be or not Adapted for the rifle...?

For instance,could a vernier ladder apeture sight be put on my rifle,with appropriate front sight...?

I am simply digging for info .....
Again any books or web sites recommended would be appreciated....
Oh and a few emails off to more builders as well..

Thanks for the reply.contiuning on ......

Last edited by a moderator:
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.