How to adjust the new Remington 700 X-Mark Pro trigger

Well i got mine down to one and three quarter lb. by my scale. The trigger screw can be taken out and put somewhere because it is difunctional period.
The real adjustment screw is a hex screw one the trigger assy. only one there. It will adjust down to 1 3/4 (mine on my 700 ss 5r 308} which i have learned to live with. i have not been into the trigger to do any sear work (yet)

By the way this is the most accurate rifle I have shot to this day.>>CHAZ

I have 2 relatively new Remington 700's with Xmark triggers. One is factor set at 4 lbs and won't adjust, the other is 4.5 lbs and nly adjusts 1/2 lbs.

My gunsmith told me if he touches anything except the external adjustment screw he void the warrantee. I called Remington and they stated that is the case. They also stated the information on the X-mark card is wrong. The trigger is not factory set at 3.5 lbs. It is set between 5-7 lbs and adjustable only down to 3 lbs.

I asked what I needed to do to get my working and the answer was send it back for a replacement or if you work with a certifed Remington repair facility they can send that person a new trigger system provided they have an FFL and provide Remington the serial number and registration date.

My gunsmith's recommendation is replace it with a Timmy as the Xmark Pro is total junk.

A little resurrection here and a few cents of opinion. 1) Gun gets loaded when it's ready to fire and is pointed in a safe direction. If it discharges, no one gets hurt and the shooter knows he needs to re-adjust his trigger or an aftermarket one. 2) If there is a problem, installing a Timney or Jewell is going to void the warranty anyway. A Remington trigger job can not compete with a Jewell trigger so the warranty will be voided at some point if the best trigger is what you're looking for. Tinker away. Then just put a Jewell in it and call it good when you're done with the experiment. I personally don't care about the warranty. Remingtons are built well and anything that they would do at the factory, I will have my local gunsmith do with same day service.
Jewell triggers are not just hype in my opinion. A good, crisp trigger can turn a 1 1/2 MOA rifle into a 1/2 to 3/4 MOA rifle without much effort.

I adjusted the Xmark trigger on my .223 to +/- 2 lbs and it's a clean trigger. But I don't trust it even though it hasn't had an issue. I'm waiting for my newest Jewell to show up.

got a new rem 700 adl in .223 for christmas . No screw on underside ,just the bolt release. ????? Does the slightly cheaper adl not have the xmark trigger?

I know this is an old thread but I wanted to post my recent experience with this trigger. I recently purchased a Remington 5 R 300 win mag and was very disapointed in the trigger. My trigger was factory set at about 6 pounds. I attempted to adjust it down and it would only go down to just under 5 pounds. I have a good friend who also purchased an identical rife and his was factory set at 3 pounds. This tells me that its a hit or miss with this trigger. I believe that between law suits and the company that own Remington and other firearms and related product wanting to make as much as they can have not done a good job in producing quality guns. The last Remington I purchased prior to this gun was a Remington BDL in 338 mag and it came with a real *** stock, the injected molded hollow one. I tried to do something with it, filling it with foam etc but gave up and purchased an HR precision stock for it and now its a good gun. The financial group that owns Remington also owns Marlin, and my good friend had one, in 45-70. He has read that there was some problems with them and upon inspection found that the reciever under the front hand guard was missing a piece of metal, there was burrs and machinery marks on interior parts and was off when attempting to sight the gun in. I will give Remington credit, they did replace the rifle, but how did this gun leave the factory like this? Iam afraid that the bottom line is driving Remington more then producing a quality product.

Couldn't get my X Mark (Con) below 3.5 lbs...ordered a Timney and problem solved. It's really a shame though. My friend bought a $500+ Savage with an accutrigger and it was sweet. One would think that a $1250 Sendero would come with a decent trigger.

I also purchased a timney as well. Why own a rifle that cost over 1K and have a poor trigger on it.

After reading the article on Remington's website and how they state how adjustable it is and that they include the tool to adjust the trigger with the rifle . I could not find it stated that adjusting the trigger had any affect on warranties. If it was an issue I would think it would have been stated on their web page telling how easy the adjustable trigger is to use. I think if you are going to make a statement it would be a good idea to site the source of information to show the credibility of the information given as fact.

The couple of Mark X's I have worked on were junk and incapable of being safely adjusted below 5#. The original Model 700 design was a much better IMO. Do yourself a favor and get one of the many, good aftermarket triggers available. I'm partial to the Timney for a crisp and reliable hunting trigger that is cost effective.

They can be adjusted down to about 2lbs safely if you know how Remington triggers work. It takes fully disassembling the trigger and stoning the right parts and installing a lighter spring. If you don't know how to do it, don't even try you will hurt yourself.

That being said Remington triggers can be tuned to be very crisp and better than timneys in my Opinion. But you cant just turn a screw and think its going to fix anything.

They can be adjusted down to about 2lbs safely if you know how Remington triggers work. It takes fully disassembling the trigger and stoning the right parts and installing a lighter spring. If you don't know how to do it, don't even try you will hurt yourself.

That being said Remington triggers can be tuned to be very crisp and better than timneys in my Opinion. But you cant just turn a screw and think its going to fix anything.

There you go somebody that know what they are talking about on rem triggers!

I had a friend at work several years ago that bought a 700 Rem Sendero and said it had a bad trigger. What a bad trigger. I did not have a scale I could check the trigger with. I could pick up the rifle with scope by the trigger slowly with the safety Off and it would not drop the firing pin. Tied 1lb. of beans to the front sling base and it would not drop the firing in. When the 2nd bag of beans was attached to the front sling base you could not pick it up with out the firing pin would drop. Somewhere around 12 to 14 lb. to get it to release. I took the trigger apart and the sears looked like the face of a bastard file with the groves in both contact points. After a lot of stone work I got the sears smoothed and able to get a crisp 3lb. trigger.

Wood Craft Supply Parkersburg WV sells a set of special shaped 8000# grit. will polish metal to mirror shine. Makes great polish stones.

Adjust all you want with the factory trigger as long as you understand the consequences associated with it ...

or

go with Jewell or Timney CE and be done with it.

I went with the Timney CE (currently set at 8 oz, too light for hunting and will have to raise it up to maybe 2 lbs later) over the Jewell on my new full custom build and very pleased with it.

Cheers!

My dad and his 'best-friend', gunsmith have worked on dozens of triggers with me in attendance. Tuning and polishing and lubing turned even the cheapest trigger into something darn good. We had several bench rest .22's with 8oz pulls, that resembled a hot knife through butter.

I have a 700 Long Range on order and will plan to do the work on the X-Mark Trigger, giving it a legitimate chance to meet my needs before I drop $150 on an after-market solution. Like someone posted above....I might as well give the X-Mark some work and a chance, as a Timney dropped in will void the warranty any way.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts