How tight the rings?

Hehehehe. Yeah, at first it does sound like "Why dude?" Call me crazy, but since I have a suppressor, all it will cost me is an adapter. If the muzzle brake was threaded right, a long time ago, I wouldn't need the adapter!

Please post how it works, as I've thought the same thing. Especially after shooting mine on the range, and everybody on the line seemed to JUMP every time I fired! LOL!

Shame you can't get a combo unit -- suppressor AND muzzle brake.

Boy, did your comments hit home! Yep, with the muzzle brake, people ( and me!) want to duck and run for cover when it goes off.
As for the combo unit, my suppressor builder is doing that very thing! Yep, he's got a muzzle brake that's threaded to accept the suppressor. Of course, the brake may not be as effective inside the suppressor, but that's to be determined later. It's in the prototype stages now. I've seen it and it is waaay cool. I'll be seeing him soon and will tell him of your comments.

Nice work, Gamehawker.

I like your setup with the Picatinny rail, and I spent all day Saturday trying to find the parts to do that on my rifle. I found that the current iteration of Model 70 has both short actions and long actions, as well as a third one they use on their "Express rifles", like the H&H cartridges.

Of course, they would call the 7mms STW an Express rifle.

So -- does anybody know where I can find a 20 MOA Picatinny rail for my Winchester?

Thanks,
Earl
Clovis, New Mexico USA

Earl:

Try Badger Ordinance or EGW (Evolution Gun Works), both have online sites, both sell retail through many outllets including, I believe the Long Range Hunting Store attached to this website/forum that you'll find on the forum start page.

The only difference between a Weaver rail and a Picatinny rail is a slight dimensional change. Both both rails will mount devices interchangeably FYI.

There has been some bad press on this site in the past concerning EGW rails but I personally haven't had issue one and I have a couple.

With any rail-to-receiver mount, the rail needs ro be bedded (secured) to the receiver with a locking/friction increasing compound (as well as the mounting screws). To that end I use my standby blue threadlocker between the rail and the receiver and torque the attachment screws accordingly with a torque sensing screwdriver like a 'Fat Wrench'.

Every component, from the rail to the rings to the ring securement fasteners to the ring halves need to be properly torqued.

sidecarflip, you saying almost verbatim what I said in my article about the "black rifle comes of age" in Jan. '012. Yes, every component/ step in mounting a scope needs to be properly done. No shortcuts allowed!

Just got my Wheeler Fat Wrench in, and would you believe it? The rings weren't YET up to 18 inch-pounds, and teh windage screws took probably a turn and a half or more to get them to proper torque spec.

I'll be looking for new results at the range this weekend or the next.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts