How picky to get with new brass sorting

Not following anything you've been suggesting Gary...
Who measures neck IDs?
OD - Thickness = ID
Thickness + bullet dia = OD
You don't measure thickness by FL sizing and then rolling cases on a runout gauge, or reading unseated ODs. You measure it with a ball mic.

Also, there is more to runout than produced by necks, or seating. The entire case contributes, and a 30-06 is alot of case. Thickness variance measured at the necks carries full length of a case. And with each cycle runout grows because of it. On each firing, a high runout case expands with bias rather than centered, which may or may not be noticed in your groups. I suspect not for most.

Gene, thickness is thickness, provided the necks are anywhere near size for seating. It's variance doesn't change with fireforming either. tlk's measurements are sound as Lapua is no more uniform in this regard than any other cartridge brass, and out of the box it's ready to load(no sizing neeed).

*remember the first thing I do when sorting cases? Full length size them. This gives the cases all the same I.D. (hopefully), and a good starting point. Most runout gauges are worthless, and the dial indicators most use are even worse. Measuring with a ball mic is another issue in itself. A pin mic is much more accurate. If your getting runout in the case body, it's time to stop and take a look at what's going on.

As for runout steadilly increasing with each firing, I'll agree if you start out with a bad case. The main idea is to put everything in a loaded round in the same centerline. Then with a proper headspace setup in the die you should come out within the limits most everytime. Ever try indexing cases, and checking them after each firing?
gary

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.