How long is the magazine well on a Weatherby Mark V Magnum Action?

Discussion in 'Equipment Discussions' started by dwm, Feb 26, 2004.

1. dwm

dwm Well-Known Member

I am intersted to know if anyone has a Weatherby Mark V Magnum action(or has access to one).

Are they a true magnum action?

How long is the magazine well? Will it take a RUM with the bullet seated out? Is there such an action? Are we confined to shoot single shot from these sort of magnum actions?

From reading a few other posts recently, this sounds like a fine long range RUM candidate.

I may be able to find a used one.

Are there disadvantages to using one of these as a starting point for a long range rig?

Doug

2. DANTEC

DANTEC Well-Known Member

I have built one in 300 RUM ( tight chamber throated for 220 SMK with 31 barrel lenght ) that work fine but I use only the rifle in SS with a loading plate as davidson design glue in the stock

mag box of the Wea look cheap and have lot of cant ( to stay in streamline rifle ? )

best action strong and safe is the P14/US17 made by winchester , good steel , long stroke , able be converted in repeater for real long action,that perhaps the only interesting miltary action for custom job and cost of improvement/mofication to look as REM 720 action is acceptable because take off receiver. action are sale at low price

good shooting

DAN TEC

3. hotntot12

hotntot12 New Member

I HAVE A MARK 5, AND I'AM SURE EVERYONE HAS THEIR OWN PREFERENCE, BUT REALLY LIKE MINE.IT IS A TRUE MAGNUM AT 300.

4. HoytemanPA

HoytemanPA Well-Known Member

Dwm,

The measurements of the Weatherby Mark V that I have has a 3.815 mag box with a 3.425 port opening including the bullet tip cut out in the action.

My RUM action has a 3.700 mag box with a 3.250 port opening.

On your last question, I don't think so. but then again opinions are like... well you know.