How Far with a 7mm Rem Mag?-Elk Hunting

Keep the bullet impact velocity above what it needs to upset and the rest is up to you
THIS,.. ^^^
I use, a MINIMUM of 2,000 FPS remaining Velocity to Open up the Bullet ( Reliably ! ) , on my 140 gr. Berger's, to Be,.."Safe" !
That's 800- 900 Yards for, the .270 WSM or, 6.5 PRC
Same for, 168 gr. Berg's, in a 7 Mag.,.. IMO,.. 2,000 FPS, so probably,.. 900 yds !
IF, IF, IF you can ,.."Shoot" and,.. read WIND !
Fudge that, remaining Foot Pounds of, Energy,.. CHIT !

Last edited:
500yards or so with 160gr partitions.
A handful of cows in the 700-850yard range with 180gr hybrids.
At 800 yards i'm 2050fps and 1580lbs.

With elk the factors I'm most concerend about is how many other elk there are and how close they are to the timber.
Nothing worse than shooting at one elk at the edge of a large herd of 100 elk that are 50 yards from disappearing in the timber. They scatter and trample all over each other tyring to get to cover. I'm always worred about losing site of the target animal.
I'll sneak a lot closer if I can.

Last edited:

With elk the factors I'm most concerend about is how many other elk there are and how close they are to the timber.
Nothing worse than shooting at a herd of 100 elk that are 50 yards from disappearing in the timber. they scatter every where so I'm always worred about losing site of the target animal.
Thank you for the info! Agreed on getting closer to get a better shot!

Thank you for the info! Agreed on getting closer to get a better shot!
same logic applies if I'm shooting 230gr hybrids doing 2900fps. If they are in a herd it really changes how willing I am to shoot at distance. And with a bull tag those cows always seem to surround him so it's almost impossible to get a shot unless you have the right angle.

same logic applies if I'm shooting 230gr hybrids doing 2900fps. If they are in a herd it really changes how willing I am to shoot at distance. And with a bull tag those cows always seem to surround him so it's almost impossible to get a shot unless you have the right angle.
Understood! Good to know, thanks!

I've always been comfortable with LBS of Engergy = LBS on the Hoof.

1000 lb Elk needs 1000 for me...
My rifle with 180 Hybrids is still carrying 1300lbs of energy at 1000.

Took my pronghorn at 931 pretty comfortable so I don't think I would hesitate to take the right shot, at the right bull at 1000...but that's about it for me

Nothing worse than shooting at one elk at the edge of a large herd of 100 elk that are 50 yards from disappearing in the timber. They scatter and trample all over each other tyring to get to cover. I'm always worred about losing site of the target animal.

Good words...

There are places where that are quite open where I hunt early in the season where I'll shoot to the longer ranges. Biggest challenge with that is getting to the elk before someone else does as certain types will tag it if they get there first!

Then there are other places and situations where my longer ranges are going to be greatly reduced.

IMHO, your maximum distance should be limited to the SHORTER of:
1) The distance at which your choosen bullet's velocity drops below that required for reliable expansion, OR
2) The maximum distance you have previously demonstrated your ability to achieve reliable hits on inanimate objects with your given set-up.
This applies regardless of caliber/cartridge,