How far out will you kill an elk by yourself?

Have read and participated in some very interesting stories on this thread and contributed some of my own. From what I've read most seem to know what it takes and has the equipment with them to handle taking care of a elk. I was very fortunate when I started hunting elk in Idaho in my
late 20's, the guys I started hunting with were all experienced Idaho steep ground elk hunters and we took along everything a person would need to gut, skin, quarter, and hang 4 elk quarters. We never lost any meat due to not being taken care of properly and sometimes early October elk hunting daytime temperatures can be 70 degrees. Same with my 4 adult sons and now 4 grandchildren hunting. Sometimes this means working on and packing out elk at night when it is cooler. I have seen hunters being dropped off at the top of the mountain for an all day hunt to be picked up on the road in the bottom or taking off into a deep canyon in 70 degree temperatures with just their rifle and no pack whatsoever, I would assume they had a knife. What they would do or how much meat was lost if they shot a elk I have no idea.

I took my first 6x6 bull 22 years ago when I was 48 years old. It fell between two dead falls and I turned that bull over and had the head pointed uphill, field dressed and propped open for cooling fairly quickly. Now, I need help just to turn the **** thing over to field dress, much less get the head pointed uphill!!! For me, 60 was the start of setting realistic goals. I might add that until I hit 60, I had only taken two bucks that were 4x4 or larger, but since 60, I've taken 8 more and have hunted much closer to the vehicles. It seemed as I slowed down and paid more attention to the terrain and did more glassing that I became much more successful in the field.
I killed my first bull around the same time. I was in my early forties and I had him boned and bagged when my cousin got to me with the horses a couple hours later. There's no way I could do that now. I killed a cow a few years ago and I was well over three hours boning her. I think I had her packed the 3/4 miles to the road faster than I butchered her lol.

In Maine all the moose guides have 1000yds of climbing rope, gas powered winches, and a tool box full of pulleys. They said if you can shoot him within 900yds of the road they'll drag him to the truck whole, and can angle him around any obstacle there is.
Was winching some large cut logs into the truck up a ramp once with about 50' of 5/8" twisted nylon rope. Had a heavy pulley on it and a log got hung up. Stretch on typical nylon is 30% before failure and was using a 2000 pound winch. Think 50' slingshot. When the rope broke (wasn't looking back to see the stretch) the pulley slammed into the back of the steel headache bar with a bang that could probably be heard for miles. Climbing rope comes in two varieties, static and dynamic, both with a uni core and a woven case. The dynamic rope is supposed to stretch so a falling climber gets stopped gradually. Static rope has quite a bit less stretch and is used for hauling gear etc. It still has plenty of stretch though, and I wouldn't want 1000 yards of it strung all over with pulleys.
We switched to wire rope long ago for tree felling, learned how to splice it because stupid wire nuts always fail. Even wire rope can pack a punch so the rule is to NEVER be in the line of fire. The other issue is slings. We use large load rated kevlar slings to attach hardware to trees to protect them from damage. Everything in the load train is load rated, such as forged eye bolts instead of the ones bent from steel rod.
I suppose if the pulleys were attached to the trees with super heavy duty gear, leaving just the rope to recoil (no hardware in the load string, just rope), it would take some of the risk out.

Meat is Meat off a Bull or Cow and if you only have one ticket why pass it up. Just try to hunt an area where you could pack the animal out. Plan ahead on a type of drag to use and making several trips. I hunted alone for many years many times and many pack outs by myself. Only had a pack of wild dogs come into the equitation when coming back for the second load.
I always used the "Sleigh" a thick piece of rolled up plastic with Bunji cords to holds the packages on the sleigh. I would field dress then take the heart, liver, back straps and tenderloins out and put in a pack along with the ribs. The put all that on the sleigh and one back quarter. I could then put my Climber on my back with my other packs and rifle and drag the sleigh behind me. On my second trip I would only take my revolver S&W Model 29 and pull the sleigh with the remaining three quarters back to my truck.
Takes some planning, but doesn't all hunts take pre planning?
If you are hunting by yourself make sure that you give your hunting area MAP to someone in case of an emergency. Carry a first aid kit (not walmart but a real one) a radio and phone and Sat Phone if you have one. Also a S.O.S. Locator system., water, food, space blanket, fire starter. A simple twist of an ankle can doom you if the weather turns bad.
With proper Pre-Planning and correct gear you can have a GREAT experience hunting by yourself.
Those vinyl roll up sleighs will move 300 lbs like it's 75 lbs they are fantastic and easy to take in with you. Worth every cent of the ludicrous 45$
( Joking) I paid for it.

Growing up, we never thought about how far we went in, cause we were always on horseback. If we can get in there the horses will get us out. Here is my dad after a successful day and 6 mile pack out. Up until the past 10 years I had never not taken any animal out whole, elk, deer, antelope. We would just drop a loop on our elk dalles up and out we would come. The down side lost a lot of hair, but cleaned up well when we skinned it.

Now with life changes and my good horses all past. My 16 yo son and I did 5 mile pack out with his wilderness buck last year. When we got back to the truck I asked if it was with it for the forked horn he shot, "yes every step" was his response. I'll do it again and again until I drop dead on the trail just for the time with him and the smile on his face.

The only animals I've passed on makeing the shot was early season archery elk that there was no possible way to get them out in the 85 degree heat.

Lots of good ideas in this post thanking all for sharing. Best of luck with draws in the western states and start planning, hunting season is just around the corner.

Attachments

• 025.jpeg
    025.jpeg
    49.1 KB · Views: 21
  • 433.jpeg
    433.jpeg
    58.1 KB · Views: 29
By myself? Right beside the truck lol.

Did a bull moose this year with my brother in law. My uncle and my cousin came along and helped too. Still was a big job.

If I had to go alone, I would, but it would definitely impact where and in what terrain I took an elk or a moose. Working on fitness, but enjoy the social aspect of hunting and harvesting game a lot.

You are blessed
Thank You, at 17 I joined the Marine Corps, thinking I was tough and learned you can't fight everyone by yourself! I was fortunate to have served with a few Korean War Veterans who took me under their Wings and mentored me. Later with time in Vietnam and a few back to back tours their efforts turned me into a Sergeant of Marines, leading Squads on reconnaissance patrols, hundreds of search and destroy missions. That experience was a turning point for me. From that point forward I have helped those around me to get up when you fell, to help that weak link to be a better person, and to share my knowledge, skills and abilities with those around me! Everyone of US has had someone who made the point of adjusting our attitude, teaching us we have value. Please pass on your experience. We don't live forever! Semper Fidelis

Thank You, at 17 I joined the Marine Corps, thinking I was tough and learned you can't fight everyone by yourself! I was fortunate to have served with a few Korean War Veterans who took me under their Wings and mentored me. Later with time in Vietnam and a few back to back tours their efforts turned me into a Sergeant of Marines, leading Squads on reconnaissance patrols, hundreds of search and destroy missions. That experience was a turning point for me. From that point forward I have helped those around me to get up when you fell, to help that weak link to be a better person, and to share my knowledge, skills and abilities with those around me! Everyone of US has had someone who made the point of adjusting our attitude, teaching us we have value. Please pass on your experience. We don't live forever! Semper Fidelis
Thank you for your service.

I had a cow elk tag, this season, and ended up not pulling the trigger because getting to them was so hard when I did the math, I just did not think I could get her out. What do everyone think? What's your worst pack outs? I know I would have made it happen for a bull. The people I talked to had an attitude of "don't work that hard for a cow". I don't know, seasons over and I'm kind of kicking myself. The best thing would have been to be in much better shape, and found some easier elk.
Killed a bull 6 miles from the trailhead one time but I was 26 at the time. I was by myself and made it in three trips but left the neck and rib meat. At 42 now, there's no way I would do that again. I think 3 miles is max now.