How far can a 308 responsibly take game?

I am agreeing with you on that mag10, but there's another powder out there , Varget and this makes a 308 closer to a 270 smoking down range at above 2800 fps to 2900 fps , with a 150 gr BTSP... Yeah ,,,, I pit my 308 against all the others ..... oh, it shoots a clover at 100 too.

You can hit the 3100'sec mark with n530 with the 155s.

Thanks for the info on that, I might just try some. Any high pressure signs on your brass? How is the accuracy ?

Accuracy was fair 1/2-3/4 MOA. Definately better accuracy with Varget, Benchmark etc...Brass and extraction was normal. Another barrel might do better with n530. My last barrel ate n540 alive and my latest barrel hates it. Loves benchmark, varget and H4350 the best. Tolerates H4895 and likes 4320 but not for long. After 3-4 groups, accuracy goes to he!! Until it gets scrubbed.

Thanks again for the info Michael I got a clover with the Varget and as long as I can get it ,,,, i'll use it. Great information.......

Re: How far can a 308 responsibly take game?

In hunting conditions with a steady rest, 300-400 metres.

Re: How far can a 308 responsibly take game?

In hunting conditions with a steady rest, 300-400 metres.

400 meters is a good deal closer than many of us believe the .308 can be effective. What criteria are you using to come to this recommendation?

I'm always curious as to how others determine effective range.

I would take deer out to 600 yards with my 308 and 168 VLDs.... And further with the 215 hybrids, if I can get them to stabilize. Just looking at the numbers in Quickload, the 215s out of a 308 at decent speeds should be lethal. Been using the 168s and they are awesome. Have 4 boxes of 215s, but getting my 300 wm setup first with those... But do intend to see what my 308 will do with them.

Lots of answers here,
..when I explore a new cartridge to figure out it's performance envelope I like to have a look at a couple of the old knckdown formulas just to see what they say - the one I look at first is the old Optimum Game Weight - Big Game bullets. This gives what weight animal is recommended to take based on bullet weight and impact velocity.

Next the caveat.. we all know these are cude at best, lot of variables are not accounted for in the formula, yada, yada - but in the absense of any other information they're a decent starting point.

Jay

Lots of answers here,
..when I explore a new cartridge to figure out it's performance envelope I like to have a look at a couple of the old knckdown formulas just to see what they say - the one I look at first is the old Optimum Game Weight - Big Game bullets. This gives what weight animal is recommended to take based on bullet weight and impact velocity.

Next the caveat.. we all know these are cude at best, lot of variables are not accounted for in the formula, yada, yada - but in the absense of any other information they're a decent starting point.

Jay

I absolutely agree.... Which is why Quickload and Quicktarget are so useful. A 308 168gr VLD out of a 20" barrel moving at a muzzle velocity of 2565 fps.... Has 1000 ft/lbs of energy and a velocit of 1637 fps at 600 yards. the bullet itself has proven capability in the field and more than sufficient energy to take deer at 600 yards. Then it's just a matter of bullet placement, and I've found that prone with a bipod, keeping a 6 shot group within 6" is easily doable... 5 of 6 I can keep within a 2.5x3.5 area.

If you have the dope... And can shoot under pressure... a 308 with the above load will do the job very handily on deer past 500 yards... And out to 600. If you have a fast barrel and or can push the bullet to a MV of 2700... I would hazard that 700 yards would be within the capability of this cartridge. However... I limit myself to 600 as that's where my comfort zone is based on the MV I am getting, and it's the distance I have experience shooting out to.

Each to his own.... But if you've got the right bullet combination and ability to shoot the load accurately, 500 yards is a lock.

Lots of answers here,

Jay

I kind of judge mine on the kills I make with them, and like the 45 ACP for example , at 30 yds went through both shoulders of a deer and put it down on the spot...The bullet was a 230 gr FMJ, and it was intact totally, and between the meat and hide of the deer, lodged on the opposite side, after it went through both shoulders , ribs, etc... So here is a projectile moving at 700 or 800 fps and makes a good kill.... So if my 308 is still running at 800 fps when it hits a critter, its dead.....

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts