how do you manage you're brass.....

earlcurtis67

looking for any ideas on managing brass, I cant help but think theres gotta be a better way of trying to keep track of this mess than ziplock bags and a dozen plastic boxes. I have brass thats been fired once and up to 5 times, neck sized and full length sized, full length sized but not fire formed, etc. etc.Am I missing something, or should I just label better. any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated E

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 116
I use plastic coffee cans, the large size ones. For Pistol and 223 I use clear rubermaid tubs. For unprocessed pistol I use bigger blue rubbermaid tubs stacked under the bench.

you can get metal ammo cans pretty cheap...if you have large amounts of brass that you have just sitting around i recommend getting the 7.62 X 56 ammo cans they are big enough but not to big and are stackable and much easier to manage. and i would only keep about 1 or 2 plastic 50 round boxes for each cartridge type.

Whey protein containers. I like using the cheap frankford plastic boxes from sportsmans guide w/ free shipping. You can write on them then wipe it off w/ alcohol.

Or start shooting to catch your brass up with the rest so you don't have so many different categories.

Been there, done that with the small boxes and baggies. Eventually became unmanageable.

Large volume pistol and rifle now go in two ammo cans, one loaded, one for brass.
When the loaded ammo can gets to empty, I process and reload the empty brass in the second can. Repeat until it's time for new brass.

For small volume hunting ammo, I process lots of 100 in two 50 round plastic ammo boxes. That lot stays together until it's time for new brass.

Works for me.

Thanks for all the suggestions fellas, while reading just now I realized that I probably have way to many head stamps and that I should keep two for each caliber and get rid of the rest. I should also sit down and clean and size the brass in the ziplock bags and then put them in the small coffee cans until needed. By all means keep the suggestions coming E

I only shoot rifles in 5 different calibers, only one rifle in each, but this is what works for me

Immediately after depriming I mark the case with an electric engraver on the head

DSCN0230.jpg

DSCN0231.jpg

and then fill in the engraved mark with a magic marker

DSCN0233.jpg

I can keep all my cases for a rifle in the same box and still know which are which

REL5.jpg

If I want to anneal I will anneal all the ones that have been fired the same number of times

Figuring out which have been sized, prepped or only deprimed is done with measuring tools, i.e. headspace gauges or pin gauges

Works for me and I stopped worrying about it

Centerpunch would probably work also

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.