Houston, Texas

I've been to ASC a few times in the last month. James is a good dude.

I've had about 60/40 experience with the range masters there. One guy was an out and out *******. A couple of others were decent. The bad apple tried to tell me I couldn't pick up my neck turned, once fired (2 seconds earlier), .270 brass. I accidentally dropped it. It's not like I let it fly out of the chamber and even if I did he wasn't getting it. I put too much work into prepping my brass than to let some old half-witted SOB try to tell me I couldn't pick it up because he had a napoleon complex and some faded out sign that nobody pays attention to says otherwise. I told him that we needed to go talk to the manager about it and he mumbled something and walked off. Conversely, I had a good conversation with the range officer that was there on my first trip and he was cool with me picking up my .45ACP (and whatever else) brass. Then there was the guy a few days ago that I spent at least 15 minutes with talking guns. I'm a member there but I won't be when membership lapses.

I found a little range in El Campo, TX (El Campo Rifle and Pistol Club) that's members only, behind a locked gate, I can take my reloading stuff and load / shoot from sunup to sundown if I want to. The range master is me. There are no crowds. Most of the time I'm the only shooter there (during the week). All for a once a year fee of $60.00. It has a 25, 50, 100, 200, and 300 yard rifle range plus a pistol range. The membership fee is for a family membership.

Texas Cull Hunters Association

TCHA wishes to help provide hardworking blue collar Texas families an affordable way to hunt.

At the same time providing Texas ranchers quality construction services along with deer management assistance. (Labor for Cull program)

We are a group of gentleman hunters/construction workers experts from all trades is the structure of our membership.

Our intentions are to form alliances with like minded organizations to further our cause.

To form and maintain special interest programs.

To defend our 2nd amendment rights with vigor.

Texas Cull Hunters Association

American Shooting range doesn't sound like too fun a place. Hopefully all you guys will be able to find alternative ranges. It's too bad cause IMHO a good range should be a safe, inviting friendly kinda family place. We used to have one like that until management changed and it wasn't so fun anymore so I found a new place where as someone else already mentioned you can shoot sun up to sun down and your your own rangemaster, hardly anyone there etc etc.

might be off topic but...

many 300+ ranges around houston out to 100 miles that dallas area does not have.

Find NRA Near You
change radius to 100 miles, houston, texas and check box for Places to Shoot
3 pages of ranges. many are past 100yds. some past 300.
wish i had this selection in dallas area. I drive a 2 hour round trip to shoot past 100 yards with full metal jacket (most outdoor ranges only hp or sp)

Where To Shoot | Home

Best of the West has a range NW of Austin. Apparently it has a 1,000 yard range (and shorter). I haven't been there to see for myself but it's on the list...

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.