Hornady's case activated powder drop vs. Dillon's Failsafe Powder Measure

Dillon vs Hornady

• Dillon Failsafe Powder Measure

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Hornday case-activated Powder Measure

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

SavageHunter11

I've currently got a Dillon 550C with no powder system and a Hornady LNL AP with the old case activated powder drop that doesn't utilize the new Hornady Metering inserts for quick changes. I need to buy a powder system to use on my Dillon 550 but I'm not sure which of these is better.

The Dillon powder system is cheaper and is meant for my press but I either have to buy multiple powder drops for my 5 tool heads or a quick release system for the drop that I have to re-calibrate with every caliber change. Sounds like a pain in the wallet or just a pain to do either way but I am comforted that it's meant for the press and it's Dillon so it has their reputation behind it too.

I've recently had a few local guys tell me how great the Hornady case activated system with the quick swap metering inserts are and how you only need one powder drop for all calibers. It almost sounds too good to be true and in my experience that means usually it is.

What are you guys using or suggest new progressive reloaders use? Is the Hornady system really THAT good or am I hearing a lot of hype? The Dillion is tried and true and meant for the press and while swapping calibers is kinda tedious by the looks of it. I'll only be swapping calibers every few months. What are all your thoughts?

Final note: If it makes any difference, I'll be loading two different rifle calibers with 10k+ rounds of each on the 550c as well as 1-2k of the three other rifle calibers I have tool-heads for. I'm wondering if one powder system is better for mass loading like this over the other.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.