Hornady One Shot Inconsistency

SharpShoot-R Inc.has both an aerosol and a paste version of Royal Case and Die Lube. Midway about $11.99 for paste and aerosol is nearly same price, it's about the best ever tried. Dillon's D.C.L. lanolin-based, pump spray pretty easy use and wipes clean afterwards too.

I've made an attempt to simplify my process by utilizing Hornady One Shot case lube. In the process I've seen shoulder bump inconsistency around +/- .005 with my Redding Type S FL bushing dies. I'm 100% sure the lube is the issue because I did a sample batch with Redding Imperial wax & the issues disappeared. This seems to be a known issue that others have discussed.

Thanks Gents!
Your +/- .005" is not the lube, it's the inconsistency of the application of it.
I'm not here to defend one shot, but if used correctly, it is issue free with most cases. Most who have issues never let it dry, couple that with an uneven spray pattern, bam, crappy bumps or stuck case. Tip your cases upside down in your tray and get an even coat, let them dry.
I use one shot, but don't shoot huge cases, I tumble, dust cases off on a towel, spray, let sit at least overnight, maybe more, haven't had an issue in yrs.
I'm more of a target shooter than hunter, and will always have 300 pcs of brass minimum in service, process all at once. If I had to lube each case individually, I wouldn't reload.

Figuring out how to make a product work is sometimes easier than sorting through more products. Or duplicating a melted butter, 10W-30, with a splash of kroil recipe, using a dogs butt as the applicator.

I average about 3k rounds a year and I've never had a stuck case after switching to 1shot a few years ago. I lay my cases on their side, with the necks facing me, and spray at an angle so it hit the inside of the neck a little and the entire body. Roll 180 degrees and do it again, good to go

I use dies with expander balls, if the inside of the case neck is dry, the expander ball can tug on the case as you withdraw it, pulling the shoulder back out a bit.

I spray a little one shot on a Q-tip and Lube the inside of the case next as I put them in the loading block, then give them a nice even coat and be sure to let them dry.

This is for smaller cartridges like 308 Winchester and 6.5 Creedmoor. For .300WinMag I still use the wax.

Your +/- .005" is not the lube, it's the inconsistency of the application of it.
I'm not here to defend one shot, but if used correctly, it is issue free with most cases. Most who have issues never let it dry, couple that with an uneven spray pattern, bam, crappy bumps or stuck case. Tip your cases upside down in your tray and get an even coat, let them dry.
I use one shot, but don't shoot huge cases, I tumble, dust cases off on a towel, spray, let sit at least overnight, maybe more, haven't had an issue in yrs.
I'm more of a target shooter than hunter, and will always have 300 pcs of brass minimum in service, process all at once. If I had to lube each case individually, I wouldn't reload.

Figuring out how to make a product work is sometimes easier than sorting through more products. Or duplicating a melted butter, 10W-30, with a splash of kroil recipe, using a dogs butt as the applicator.
Yes....I 100 % agree with the application being the issue. I've had no stuck cases with the product & don't have any issue or doubt about it being a quality lubricant. I may not have been crystal clear in the initial post, but the main question was, "I'm curious if anyone has a tried & true method of applying the Hornady spray that consistently alleviates this issue."

You're the second contributor that has suggested tipping upside down & allow to dry. I may try this with some of my "plinking" cases before I totally abandon the product. I'm not planning to sort through other products, as I'll likely just go back to Redding Imperial which works perfectly for me. Just takes more time, which is what I was trying to alleviate with the H1S.

I appreciate the suggestion.

Yes....I 100 % agree with the application being the issue. I've had no stuck cases with the product & don't have any issue or doubt about it being a quality lubricant. I may not have been crystal clear in the initial post, but the main question was, "I'm curious if anyone has a tried & true method of applying the Hornady spray that consistently alleviates this issue."

You're the second contributor that has suggested tipping upside down & allow to dry. I may try this with some of my "plinking" cases before I totally abandon the product. I'm not planning to sort through other products, as I'll likely just go back to Redding Imperial which works perfectly for me. Just takes more time, which is what I was trying to alleviate with the H1S.

I appreciate the suggestion.
I didn't mean to come across as a jerk, or be condescending. I use bushing dies, no expander, or a mandrel.
Case necks and shoulders need no lube in my case, just the bottom third of the case.
My bumps were more inconsistent with Imperial, if I dipped each case, sooner or later hydraulic dents were likely to materialize, doing 5 cases per dip, first case had far more lube than #5.

I must say at times, I am a creature of opportunity, and my use of one shot reflects it big time.
I tried homemade alcohol-lanolin mix, been awhile, think my best mix was 1:9.5 or so. I can say it was better than one shot, but if not used for a spell, spray bottle tips needed cleaning, etc..., so back to ease of use.

I stopped using One Shot for awhile and then couldn't find my Imperial Sizing wax. So I sprayed it on from four different directions on the brass, I used to do two sides. It worked pretty well so I guess I didn't spray it on heavy enough before.

I didn't mean to come across as a jerk, or be condescending. I use bushing dies, no expander, or a mandrel.
Case necks and shoulders need no lube in my case, just the bottom third of the case.
My bumps were more inconsistent with Imperial, if I dipped each case, sooner or later hydraulic dents were likely to materialize, doing 5 cases per dip, first case had far more lube than #5.

I must say at times, I am a creature of opportunity, and my use of one shot reflects it big time.
I tried homemade alcohol-lanolin mix, been awhile, think my best mix was 1:9.5 or so. I can say it was better than one shot, but if not used for a spell, spray bottle tips needed cleaning, etc..., so back to ease of use.
Oh I didn't take it as you being a jerk at all. Hope I wasn't either. I asked for feedback & you provided. So thank you.

I was just trying to stay focused on my issue, which isn't stuck cases.

I also run bushing dies with no expander ball or mandrel. Truly, if Area 419 or someone else would make a loading block that you could place your brass in upside down & deep enough to cover up the shoulder, that'd probably be the cats meow for my setup and and what I need to achieve here.

I'm sorta wondering if I could get a cheap plastic loading block & wedge in or bush the case head holes with appropriately cut lengths of cardboard tube or maybe plastic tubing or something similar. This would allow the brass to be placed in upside down and have the necks & shoulder basically shielded from the spray.

The hamster wheel is turning…might have to see what I can come up with.

I too used One Shot for a while,2 stuck cases,I read the directions and it says to let it dry before use or something like that.My fault.
Still got a can but switched to Redding Imperial Wax as One Shot went everywhere and Imperial Wax don't.
My brother loved it and used it up until he passed away,so it works if you follow the directions

I don't know about any other lube products, been using One Shot for a long time.
No stuck cases or hydro dents. Most of the cases I size have minimum body taper, and I always use bushings/mandrels.
If it fails me I'll be looking for a replacement

I've made an attempt to simplify my process by utilizing Hornady One Shot case lube. In the process I've seen shoulder bump inconsistency around +/- .005 with my Redding Type S FL bushing dies. I'm 100% sure the lube is the issue because I did a sample batch with Redding Imperial wax & the issues disappeared. This seems to be a known issue that others have discussed.

Before I simply chunk the H1S can & go back to the Redding Imperial, I'm curious if anyone has a tried & true method of applying the Hornady spray that consistently alleviates this issue.

Thanks Gents!
I give a very light spray on the brass in a loading block from all four sides, brass upright, and see about +/- .0015" shoulder bump variance with a Forster bushing bump neck sizing die with no expander FWIW.