Hornady OAL Gauge case question?

BoomFlop

I want to send a piece of fired brass for my guns to Hornady to be threaded for the OAL tool. My question is, does it have to be the same brand of brass I want to reload? I have Hornady, Federal, Remington and Nosler brass that has been fired in each rifle, and would like to use Lapua brass for loads.

Thoughts, is it better or no no different than just purchasing there modified cases?

Thanks all!
Steve

But do I need to use the brand of brass I will be loading, or would a fired case regardless of brand work? Wouldn't the chamber create the outside dimension for proper headspace as well as OAL work?

i don't see how it would matter, ur measuring the lands so as long as it performs that action you should be fine

Most shooters that are using the OAL guage just use Hornady's modified cases which (obviously) haven't been fired in the shooter's rifle. Presumably, any case actually fired in your rifle would be a better option.

I have probably 25 modified cases. Several were made specifically from my fired cases because Hornady didn't offer one for the rifle. I just got one back the other day for the 458 SOCOM. Either way, all the modified cases seem to get you where you need to go.

Unless you load bullets "just touching" or .001-.002" off I can't see that the measurement is all that critical.

One other thing: If you have rifles with minimum spec chambers the Hornady modified cases probably won't work without modification. It happened to me on two different rifles.

Last edited:
Doesn't matter the brass make just as long as it's fire-formed in your rifles chamber. Hornady uses all makes from different companies to make their modified cases. From them I have:
22-250; R P
6BR; Norma
25-06; R P
6.5-284; Lapua
260; R P
270WSM; Win
280; R P
7Mag; R P
270Win; Horn
308; Horn
30-06; R P
300WinMag; PPU and Win.
223; can't tell
and 270AM I made from 7RUM R P.

To fit their tool I used 9/32" drill bit and 5/16-36 tap. I make sure the case fits my chamber, the bolt closes and a bullet slips into the neck (should after firing) before I start. Don't full length re-size with the expander ball in, the bullet won't fit afterwards.

Thoughts, is it better or no no different than just purchasing there modified cases?

I've got the tap for the correct threads and have made my own in the past but it's a bit of a PITA to drill and tap them. Any more unless it's a weird round that's hard to find I just buy their modified cases. The difference between the modified case and one fired in your chamber is only going to be a few thousands on the headspace and it's not going to make any difference anyway, it's just not that precise enough to matter. You're looking for a starting place from which you can tweak and refine your COAL and the length you settle on is going to be determined by how it shoots, not whether it's absolutely .005" or .010" off the lands. I find it easier just to buy their case than to go through the trouble of tapping one of mine.

I want to send a piece of fired brass for my guns to Hornady to be threaded for the OAL tool. My question is, does it have to be the same brand of brass I want to reload? I have Hornady, Federal, Remington and Nosler brass that has been fired in each rifle, and would like to use Lapua brass for loads.

Thanks all!
Steve
If you are serious about using the Horandy (old Stony Point) O.A.L. Gage please gather a piece of once fired brass from your rifle that you are trying to establish either your case to shoulder length, or your case to bullet ojive dimension using either the head space comparator, or the bullet comparator set. You must start with a brass hull that has been fire formed from the weapon and only that weapons chamber. Since each barrel and and bolt face dimensions are manufactured to lets say SAMMI spec tolerances, and these are just tolerances which do vary from a high to a low with the mean being the middle, each rifle chamber/bolt face and barrel will vary slightly and still remain in spec. Now a new term enters the picture and that is stacked tolerances. This is combined tolerance that is accumulated with the assembly of the aforementioned components.Even though the combined total is still within the SAMMI specs you do have a slight stacking of the numbers. Because of this when you are establishing your C.O.A.L. you must use a case fired from that gun that you are trying to establish those dimensions for. Treat each weapon' chamber individually ,much like a shoe size. They are not all the same !
Now you can make a modified case very easy at home. If you go on the internet you can see different ways to produce them. It is not very hard providing you have three - five basic tools.
1) A letter L drill
2) A 5/16" X 36 TPI tap
3) A tap wrench required for a drill press ,but not a lathe.
4) A drill press /or lathe
5) A vise with soft jaws made out of hard wood with a hole of the correct size drilled through the center then cut in half lengthwise. (ONLY IF USING A DRILL PRESS)
Please fabricate your own as it will now become easier to make new modified cases for any given caliber without the wait.
The only downside is the initial costs for everything that you will need.
If you can find someone who has an engine lathe perhaps they could make some for you if you provide them the tap and drill?
I do hope that rather lengthy explanation will give you some guidance.
In a pinch you can use the Horandy caliber specif modified case, however you C.O.A.L dimension will not be exact.
Ounce you have a modified case you can check throat erosion/wear simply by using the Gage again to compare dimensional changes within your rifles chamber. Therefore take and record these dimensions for further reference each time you notice any changes.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.