Hornady OAL Gauge Modified Cases?

I have the tap as well.

Of course but I will repeat, a case fired in your gun is going to be more accurate.

If we were to measure the distance from the "datum" of the case to the "ogive' of the bullet we would be more accurate on distance to the lands than the fired case which is more accurate than the new case.

However, measuring this way would probably require a dedicated measurement device of a type I have never seen.

You have got me going on this thought process. I sure didn't need another project......

Perhaps I will work on it.

Goal: a tool to measure from the "datum" to the "ogive" for improved accuracy in determining the distance to the lands.
Compromise: measure from the "datum" to the tip of the bullet.

When the case shoulder is as far forward as it can go in the chamber and the bullet is as far forward in the throat, the distance from shoulder "datum" to bullet "ogive" should be a repeatable accurate measurement.

It's one of those things that my brain likes working on......

Correct.

And as far as engraving the bullet with excess pressure, unless the barrel is new, the lands dull to a degree that a consistent pressure on the bullet yields a consistent measurement.
That's why, on my custom tapped cases. I use next to no neck tension on the case.

Correct.

And as far as engraving the bullet with excess pressure, unless the barrel is new, the lands dull to a degree that a consistent pressure on the bullet yields a consistent measurement.
That's why, on my custom tapped cases. I use next to no neck tension on the case.

and with a new barrel as the throat breaks in that dimension changes pretty quickly

If anyone from Boise, ID wants the proper sized drill bit (7.3mm), let me know and I'll give you one for free. I bought 10x off Amazon for $10 as opposed to 1x for $9. Just send me a message!

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.