Hornady FPB's

WildRose

hornady_FPB_bullets.jpg

http://www.chuckhawks.com/hornady_FPB.htm

I've seen these several places for sale and of course with the shortage of other ML bullets they definitely intrigue me since I've always had great luck with Hornady bullets in my various centerfire calibers.

So the question is... Have any of your given them a ride? Load? Results?

hornady_FPB_bullets.jpg

Hornady's .50 Caliber FPB Muzzleloader Bullets

I've seen these several places for sale and of course with the shortage of other ML bullets they definitely intrigue me since I've always had great luck with Hornady bullets in my various centerfire calibers.

So the question is... Have any of your given them a ride? Load? Results?

Never shot them but, if the 100yd bullet shown in the photo is near 1,700fps at 100yds, and that's all the expansion it gives, I'd have a concern.

Never shot them but, if the 100yd bullet shown in the photo is near 1,700fps at 100yds, and that's all the expansion it gives, I'd have a concern.
That's the problem. The whole point for me getting an ML is to Hunt Elk and Possibly Mulies in NM so a bullet that does not break up and does exit means a lot to me.

Of course I don't want them just penciling through either. Part of the reason for considering these is the reports I've read on other reviews where people have found them to work extremely well on both elk and big hogs

I tried the Barnes bullets (two different types) and they just didn't shoot well for me. The Harvester PT gold are shooting well for me but I'm looking of course for other good performing options.

"This one is OK" just isn't good enough for most of us and I"m as guilty as anyone of wanting to experiment and see if I can find something that shoots better that will also expand well without breaking up.

I'm hoping to get a chance to shoot a few hogs with it before heading to NM.

I also am considering some CO ML hunts in the future and that requires finding a good performing non saboted bullet which drove me in this direction as well.

Thanks for the input.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.