Hornady ELD-X Bullets. Anyone loading these yet??

dougduey

Just seeing if anyone is loading these new bullets yet and what kind of results they are getting. I would think these bullets would be a great fit for the 7 STW.
I contacted Hornady and they stated they haven't completed all their testing and can't give me any load data yet. They did suggest starting at 0.020 off the lands for seating depth

I have some 175's back ordered. Looking forward to working up a load.

I'm wondering if the STW will do better with the .020 jump or something more. Most of the experienced guys seem to start further out with most bullets. I've only worked up loads with a couple bullets, but their recommendations worked for those.

I, too, learned through the advice of Butter Bean on this site that the magic COAL is 3.625" for the STW. Although, Hornady has put a lot of time and money into developing these bullets. I'm going to play around with my "magic" COAL and try out Hornady's suggested starting length too. I'm sure there will be many others doing it he same and we can all help one another out. I hope these bullets live up to the hype

I, too, learned through the advice of Butter Bean on this site that the magic COAL is 3.625" for the STW. Although, Hornady has put a lot of time and money into developing these bullets. I'm going to play around with my "magic" COAL and try out Hornady's suggested starting length too. I'm sure there will be many others doing it he same and we can all help one another out. I hope these bullets live up to the hype

Yep. I did the same, and it worked. I'll probably start there and see what happens unless I hear someone with a different experience. If that doesn't work, I'll go with Hornady.

I usually load my hornady, sierra, and nosler pils to mag length and forget trying to find the rifling. I've just shot in a remmy 700lr300rum with 180 interlocks and rl25 with ammo for another 300rum of mine and she's turning out 1/2 moa groups at mag length with that ammo. Less than 25 rounds and hunting ready... I'll work with the new 200grain eld-x in her, but I really don't need her to perform as she already is with the 180.

As to the aggressive pills like the 195 berger I'll get her to within .1" or so of the lands and see what happens in my 7stw, but I've already got the 140ab and rl25 shooting very well, so I'm not going beyond the 2 boxes of 195's I've bought before I say to heck with it and just shoot the barrel out with the nosler ab.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.