Hornady eld-vt 308 Win

mgrunloh

Picked up a couple boxes of bullets and want to reload with TAC, where would you start as I haven't found any specific reloading data for this yet.

Daniel Defense DD5v3 308 win AR-10
Hornady 30 Cal .308 174 gr ELD-VT

Picked up a couple boxes of bullets and want to reload with TAC, where would you start as I haven't found any specific reloading data for this yet.

Daniel Defense DD5v3 308 win AR-10
Hornady 30 Cal .308 174 gr ELD-VT

.​

Last edited:
with no data online since this is a new bullet and knowing they are long for their weight having a large hollow cavity behind the tip and with mag restrictions and listed data for 175gr at 38-39 starting load i would drop down to 37gr and work up from there. remember this bullet is long taking up case space when dealing with 2.800 mag lengths

I have the newest Hornady & it does not have this data.
there is no data i have found from major manufactures, all i have seen has been from reloaders here or other forums and is why i am sure the OP asked for help. experience with the .224 62gr is they are longer than the 75 ELDM from a small sample size. these bullets really need longer than standard OAL. to take advantage of the length to weight ratio these bullets offer

The Nosler 9 suggest different powders for the heavier EV PILL. Such as Varget or Big Game. And the BG is a slightly compressed load. It listed Tac as a powder, up to the 155 gr pill. I'm not sure how well the Tac may perform with his pill of choice. I would be curious to hear how it performs.

Try this data below and run a pressure ladder. I agree with @M1A1ABRAMS above, a slower powder would be better suited. Sometimes you have to use what ya got.
IMG_4626.png

the problem with using a Sierra bullet is the length, the Hornady offerings are a lot longer and will take up case capacity when dealing with mag length.
he needs to start much lower than the 39.1 listed, that might be getting close to max. quick check on quickload has Hornady offerings at least .100 longer than Sierra and the eldm even longer than that and these eld-vt are even longer than elds for comparable weights.

the problem with using a Sierra bullet is the length, the Hornady offerings are a lot longer and will take up case capacity when dealing with mag length.
he needs to start much lower than the 39.1 listed, that might be getting close to max. quick check on quickload has Hornady offerings at least .100 longer than Sierra and the eldm even longer than that and these eld-vt are even longer than elds for comparable weights.
I don't disagree.

The more we add to this thread,I'm thinking this isn't a good load for an AR-10.

This proliferation of cartridges designed for the newer ogive (hybrid) bullets is creating a lot of confusion with bullet selection. It is pretty clear the .224 VT was designed around the ARC and maybe the Valkerie. In the 308 there are not a lot of new cartridges but some manufactures have long freebore (Rem 700 in particular) that may be. able to use that bullet but if loaded at mag length it may sacrifice too much velocity to utilize the BC advantage.

If someone can measure the bullet overall length and get the other boattail data shown below I'll put the bullet into GRT and see what happens.

Screenshot 2024-05-23 at 9.21.53 AM.png

Last edited:
I probably should have done more research prior to picking these up. I'm beginning to think an AR-10 is not the best weapon for this round.

Figure I'll unload these on my brother who has a REM 700 in 308win