Hornady brass and fed 215 primers

Hello All.
I recently bought a tikka 7mm mag and 2boxes of hornady white tail ammo to shoot and break in barrel. Now after prepping tho cases trying to seat fed 215 primers with a lee hand primer I can't get the primers to seat. Shavings from the primer are showing up on case head. Tried some cci 250 and even some of them are very hard to seat.
Has anyone ran across this issue.
Maybe I need to switch brand of brass ?
Had purchased Hornady brass for loading in 7mmMag last summer. Primer pockets measured shallow by .002-.004. Could not get them to seat fully. Contacted Hornady and customer service sent me 50 pieces of new brass, had the same shallow pocket problem. Poor QC?

Judging by your photo, the primers were crimped in place by the manufacturer during the production process. I have never heard of that being done before on commercial brass made in the US. On military brass, yes, but never on commercial brass.

Several different manufacturers make a primer pocket swager that will clean the crimp out, but if I were you I would call Hornady and ask why the primers were crimped in on commercial brass. My guess is that they bought a load of primed brass or ammo from a non-US manufacturer, and it came crimped. Perhaps they'll offer to replace it free of charge. Worth a try.

If that doesn't work, you could look for a Dillon primer pocket swager to clean up the crimp, but that will be an expensive fix for a problem you will probably never run into again unless you reload once-fired military brass. A better option might be to find a nearby friend who can swage the pockets for you -- as I say, you will only have to do it once and will never do it again if you don't reload military brass. Or just replace the brass yourself and figure it's a "live and learn" situation.

Never had that happen with new hornady brass.but no company is perfect call hornady.they are good to work with.

Hello All.
I recently bought a tikka 7mm mag and 2boxes of hornady white tail ammo to shoot and break in barrel. Now after prepping tho cases trying to seat fed 215 primers with a lee hand primer I can't get the primers to seat. Shavings from the primer are showing up on case head. Tried some cci 250 and even some of them are very hard to seat.
Has anyone ran across this issue.
Maybe I need to switch brand of brass ?
primer pocket uniform tool to have all your pockets the same ! should solve your problem

Not sure about the cases on yours, but sometimes my Hornady factory ammo has been swaged, at least all my Match rounds have been, so they need to be swaged. I then clean it up with a pocket uniformer. I am using Federal 210 primers, and am going to 215 Match Primers, so will see if works out the same. ALL primers in my new brass seated normally with no issues. BYW - a lee swager will slightly chamfer the pockets as well.

+1 on swaging the primer pockets with the Dillon Super Swage 600. Bought one for prepping 5.56 and 7.62 brass but have found it useful many other times, such as situations like this.

you need to buy more commercial usa ammo.
it happens
anytime a round is chambered in a semi-auto..say a browning.

lets see $100 plus dollars to swage 40 pockets. one could buy a lot of good new brass for $100.

Judging by your photo, the primers were crimped in place by the manufacturer during the production process. I have never heard of that being done before on commercial brass made in the US. On military brass, yes, but never on commercial brass.

Several different manufacturers make a primer pocket swager that will clean the crimp out, but if I were you I would call Hornady and ask why the primers were crimped in on commercial brass. My guess is that they bought a load of primed brass or ammo from a non-US manufacturer, and it came crimped. Perhaps they'll offer to replace it free of charge. Worth a try.

If that doesn't work, you could look for a Dillon primer pocket swager to clean up the crimp, but that will be an expensive fix for a problem you will probably never run into again unless you reload once-fired military brass. A better option might be to find a nearby friend who can swage the pockets for you -- as I say, you will only have to do it once and will never do it again if you don't reload military brass. Or just replace the brass yourself and figure it's a "live and learn" situation.

<SNIPPED STUFF> Lets see $100 plus dollars to swage 40 pockets. one could buy a lot of good new brass for $100.
True that. BUT...he would have a swage tool he could use for the rest of his 'reloading life'. What man doesn't enjoy MORE tools ;)

But I like your point - can buy GOOD brass with the money instead and move on from these 'crimped' cases altogether.

I'm not sure where the $100 price tag comes from for a Dillon 600 -- there are several on eBay for around $60.

But the premise is right: you could buy good new brass for less than a swager. That's why I recommend looking for a buddy who will let you use his swager once.

a 10-12 dollar chamfering tool will do the task. like i said in the beginning.
the list price for a dillon super swager is $109.95. i would be cautious buying one listed for $60...no excuse except abuse for that low of a price
I'm not sure where the $100 price tag comes from for a Dillon 600 -- there are several on eBay for around $60.

But the premise is right: you could buy good new brass for less than a swager. That's why I recommend looking for a buddy who will let you use his swager once.

I use a screw countersink bit that goes in my drill to do away with the crimp . I've done thousands upon thousands of military 223 brass never had an issue

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.