Horizontal stringing 6.5 Creed

Kmccord

I am working up a load for my 6.5 Creedmoor, I am using Laupua LRP brass, CCI 200 Primers, H4350 and 140gr EOL Berger bullets. I had started a seating depth trial at 39.0gr first, three shots per string, using the Mag length as my starting point and worked it from .010, .020, .030, .040 and .050. This showed promise at .020 making a pretty three shot group all touching, the others were about an inch to 1.5 inches in size. The problem with the .020 off from the very edge of the Mag box required me to turn it into a single shot, this is a Bergara B14 HMR and the mag is what comes with it as a single stack AICS. I do not want to use it as a single shot, so I set the seating depth to where it just clears the action feed ramp, this measures at 2.112 CBTO or 2.812 COAL. So, I ran another test using this depth running charges at 39.0, 39.5, 40.0, 40.5, 41.0, 41.5 and 42.0. All of the loads seem to string majority Horizontal and some with vertical stringing, ranging all over the place on group size. The best group was 40.5 measuring .827, the others measured from 1.5 on up to 3.0 inches. I have read that horizontal stringing is either the action screws loose, scope base loose or trigger pull not correct. I have verified the action is torqued to 55 in lbs per manufacturer specs, all scope bases and rings are torqued to specs, I was making sure my hand placement, cheek pressure feet set and shoulder pressure was all the same for each string of shots. I am using a heavy bench no movement, Caldwell the Rock front rest and a rear rabbit ear bag for the stock. I was under the impression the Berger 140 EOL are not seating depth sensitive like the VLD, has anyone out there using the same setup, found what powder node and seating depth that worked using the 140 EOL? The season is this coming weekend and was hoping to have this worked out before now, but work and Honey Do's have kept me from getting started..

When restricted by mag length I usually seat my bullet to the maximum length that feeds well and then work on the powder charge. Then when I find something with good characteristics I adjust seating depth to hopefully tighten the group. I also stopped using H4350 and moved to VVn560. Also with the 140 hybrid it's pretty forgiving on seating depth, the EOL is the 156.

Buy a aics mag with no binder plate? Gets you out to an OAL just under 3". That may get you there with your 0.020" loads.Also don't discount longer jumps, they can work out well sometimes.

Lots of guys end up in the 41-42gr range, I would test in in there in smaller steps, 41-41.2-41.4-41.6 etc. As long as 42 didn't show pressure in your rifle in your first loads.

Yes sir, I went ahead and loaded three more per charge with the best group I received (40.5), so I created 40.3, 40.5 and 40.7 to see if something is in that node. If I cannot duplicate it at 40.5 again I will re-start my seating depth test. I am getting low on bullets now, I really did not think it would take this much to find a load in this rifle. I hope the 40.5 will improve enough for me to be comfortable since the season starts this Saturday.. I do have 100 Berger 130 gr VLD Hunting bullets, if I have to change bullets since I am close to running out of the 140's.

I am working up a load for my 6.5 Creedmoor, I am using Laupua LRP brass, CCI 200 Primers, H4350 and 140gr EOL Berger bullets. I had started a seating depth trial at 39.0gr first, three shots per string, using the Mag length as my starting point and worked it from .010, .020, .030, .040 and .050. This showed promise at .020 making a pretty three shot group all touching, the others were about an inch to 1.5 inches in size. The problem with the .020 off from the very edge of the Mag box required me to turn it into a single shot, this is a Bergara B14 HMR and the mag is what comes with it as a single stack AICS. I do not want to use it as a single shot, so I set the seating depth to where it just clears the action feed ramp, this measures at 2.112 CBTO or 2.812 COAL. So, I ran another test using this depth running charges at 39.0, 39.5, 40.0, 40.5, 41.0, 41.5 and 42.0. All of the loads seem to string majority Horizontal and some with vertical stringing, ranging all over the place on group size. The best group was 40.5 measuring .827, the others measured from 1.5 on up to 3.0 inches. I have read that horizontal stringing is either the action screws loose, scope base loose or trigger pull not correct. I have verified the action is torqued to 55 in lbs per manufacturer specs, all scope bases and rings are torqued to specs, I was making sure my hand placement, cheek pressure feet set and shoulder pressure was all the same for each string of shots. I am using a heavy bench no movement, Caldwell the Rock front rest and a rear rabbit ear bag for the stock. I was under the impression the Berger 140 EOL are not seating depth sensitive like the VLD, has anyone out there using the same setup, found what powder node and seating depth that worked using the 140 EOL? The season is this coming weekend and was hoping to have this worked out before now, but work and Honey Do's have kept me from getting started..
Like said, hybrid ogive bullets are spoken of as being seating depth
insensitive. Honestly, It think it's very subjective. I think the hybrids can exhibit great seating depth insensitivity is some situations with some rifles & cartridges but there's still situations where the hybrids required more in depth seating depth tuning. I think a better description of the hybrids would be that they can be seating depth insensitive or less sensitive than a secant ogive. In theory, the hybrids should be no more or less sensitive than a tangent ogive and should react to seating depth much like tangent bullets such as accubonds & ballistic tips.

Last edited:
I'm going through a lot of the same issues with my son's Bergara, it was a B-14 BMP, but we put it in a KRG Bravo. It hated factory ammo and I had to load out to 2.87 with the 147s to get decent accuracy. But it seems to have narrow windows. The same load after a few hundred rounds, is now shooting twice the size it was when I worked up the load. Now I'm trying to work up a load with 130 Swift SII. I got a velocity node, and then started backing off the seating depth from .030 out. when I got to 90 off then things started to get better, and then at 100 they were the best, beyond 100 off things got worse again. It was a very clear node. 2" or more, then 1.5" then 1" then back to 1.5, then back to 2 or more.

O.K-maybe a silly question-but--- are you allowing your barrel to cool sufficiently? I experienced stringing both vertically and horizontally because my barrel got too hot.

Nothing wrong with your components that I see. Change primer and see if it helps. Primers can effect your groups in a big way as well as sd/es. Sometimes a rifle just won't like what you want to shoot out of it. Try a different bullet or powder. Rl16 and rl26 are great in it. Rl26 will really wake that one up. Most of my customers are in the 48 gr range and 2900fps. Like others have said about jump. Don't worry how far it jumps if it likes that depth go with it. There are many bullets in the 140 class that you can try. You will know right away when your gun liked a particular bullet. I would rather shoot a bullet that shoots almost every load good than a bullet that shoots good in only one load. Keep up what your doing sounds like you are on the right path.
Shep

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.