Homemade fibreglass stock

406pat. Make both halves of the stock at the same time. Once the fibreglass has started to set you can trim the halves with scissors, although I left it to the next morning and used a hacksaw blade.
Leave the halves in the mold and bolt the two halves of the mold together. You need to do this within 24 hours or so of moulding the hlaes so that the strips of cloth will chemically bond to the two halves.Cut some thin strips of cloth and coat them in resin. I used a squeege to spread the resin. Then put the cloth over the seams. I used three layers of cloth.

I made the molds so that I could get acess to the forearm and action area while the molds were bolted together. I also left the end of the butt open for the same reason. The pistol grip area is the tricky area. You have to get at it through the action. I bent some wire so that I could push the cloth down on to the seam. Have a dry run with dry cloth before you do it.

With the forarm I used polystyrene to fill out the area, then cloth and resin over top.

For the action area I had made a two part cast of the action using silicon sealant. Then I sat the cast in the apropriate place and poured resin with 403 filler around it. I made a dam so that it didn't run back into the pistol grip.

I moulded the bolt cutout into the stock so that I could use it as a key for locating the action cast. I did the same with the floorplate cutout.

Stu.

Wow, that does look good. With competition prices being anywhere from 550 to 1200 I'd think you ought to make a go of it and try to sell some. Thanks for posting the pics and the narrative.

Google home made fiber glass firearm stocks,,, there's lots of this on the Web...

Or you can up the game plan by using the same resin but add carbon fibre instead,,, of course it's an art to make a quality rifle stock to last the long hual...

We're lucky in our neck of the woods since Stewart with Wildcat Composites Rifle Stocks live up the road from me... He's a master at this stuff since he has the shop to turn out world class stocks...

Cheers from the North

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts