Hogue or Bell Carlson stock?

zjfty9

I think I probably already know the answer, but which would be better? The Hogue full bed stock or the Bell Carlson Medalist. I like the way the rubber overmold feels, but feel like the Medalist is a stiffer stock. Both have aluminum bedding block, so they should both be solid.

I've owned both in the past. I still have the medalist. The Hogue stock, even though the action area was stiff, was awfully floppy & sloppy in the forend, so it went down the road...I think you'd be happier with the B&C in the long run.

Brian

I think I probably already know the answer, but which would be better? The Hogue full bed stock or the Bell Carlson Medalist. I like the way the rubber overmold feels, but feel like the Medalist is a stiffer stock. Both have aluminum bedding block, so they should both be solid.

I have owned both. Both my long guns came equipped with Hogue stocks.
They now wear B&C stocks.(that should tell you something) There are better choices than the B&C but they start at 3 times the price and go up from there. Unless you want to spend 600 dollars on a rifle stock thel B&C is pretty much the best game in town. You can also order a coating with that same textured feel on the Hogue but it will be much stiffer and better performing.

I have owned both. Both my long guns came equipped with Hogue stocks.
They now wear B&C stocks.(that should tell you something) There are better choices than the B&C but they start at 3 times the price and go up from there. Unless you want to spend 600 dollars on a rifle stock thel B&C is pretty much the best game in town. You can also order a coating with that same textured feel on the Hogue but it will be much stiffer and better performing.

That's what I was thinking. I didn't want to spend a ton on the stock, which is why I was looking at those two. I like the fit of the b&c better and the stiffness. The flex in the Hogue forend bothered me, but everyone I talk to has had good luck with them. I'll probably go b&c though.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.